Adding propane boiler to existion wood boiler system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wtxing

Aug 4, 2024
Owego NY
Existing heating system is a custom made 1050 Gal wood fired boiler. Radiant water heat in concrete basement floor, 1st floor of house, baseboard on second floor of house. Radiant glycol in garge floor by means of exchanger inside water boiler. Wood boiler also has 2 electric elements in it for backup or when on vacation. I'm now 70 and am adding a propane boiler for when I no longer want to cut wood. Manual shutoffs allow me to run in three modes. 1 - wood boiler only as it is today, 2 - propane boiler only with return feeding back to itself or, 3 - propane boiler with return feeding back into wood boiler to allow garge floor heating , Keep in mind I used this design because of my desire to be able to heat my garage floor. I attached a picture of my design and have some questions..... 1) It's my uderstanding I need a weighted flow valve in this design. Not sure I have placed it correctly.
2) When using mode 3 if I choose not to close shutoff on propane return how do I prevent return water from going to both wood boiler and propane boiler ? For a more automated design with no maual shutoffs I looked at a parrell design but that did not take in my desire to heat the garege floor with return water. I realize when using mode 3 return water to the boiler will only be around 100 deg but I only heat the garage floor to about 60 deg anyway. Any other problems you see or suggestions to do it better would be greatly appreciated.

Adding propane boiler to existion wood boiler system