Adding a Pellet Insert to a Manufactured fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzpady

Jan 22, 2014
PA
Anyone know if I can add a Accentra 52i into a factory built wood burning fireplace? I currently have a Heat-N-Glo RHW-47 with a 42inch front opening, 21 high, and 23 deep. I am being told by an installer that the Harman would need a zero clearance cabinet to be put in the space and that the cabinet dimensions are too large to fit my current configuration. So I have a few questions. Do I really need a cabinet within a cabinet (metal manufactured fireplace)? If so does anyone have the dimensions of the 0 clearance cabinet? It is hard to find info online but it seems like I just may need a 0 clearance install kit? The feedback I got from installer just seemed odd to me. His final assessment was that the Accentra 52i would not fit but a Quad Mt Vernon would. Only issue is he wants 1,700 additional to install a Mt. Vernon.

Last edited:
According to the P52i install manual, you can put the insert into a factory-built ZC wood burning fireplace, without using the Harman ZC enclosure. According to the dimensions you gave, you will have to use the smallest hopper size (47.5 lb. cap'y.)...

According to the P52i install manual, you can put the insert into a factory-built ZC wood burning fireplace, without using the Harman ZC enclosure. According to the dimensions you gave, you will have to use the smallest hopper size (47.5 lb. cap'y.)...

The front lower lip can also be removed to give me an additional 6.75 inches clearance. So it seems like I may have been given some wrong information regarding a cabinet being required and the 52i not being an option for me. Much appreciated.

That additional room will aloow you to increase the hopper size. They don't need more depth, just more height...
Depending on the location of the bottom of your ZC opening & the height of your hearth, you may have to get creative with a hearth riser, but it should look good when you're finished.

Anyone know if I can add a Accentra 51I into a manufactured fireplace? I currently have a Heat-N-Glo RHW-47 with a 42inch front opening, 21 high, and 23 deep. I am being told by an installer that the Harman would need a zero clearance cabinet to be put in the space and that the cabinet dimensions are too large to fit my current configuration. So I have a few questions. Do I really need a cabinet within a cabinet (metal manufactured fireplace)? If so does anyone have the dimensions of the 0 clearance cabinet? It is hard to find info online but it seems like I just may need a 0 clearance install kit? The feedback I got from installer just seemed odd to me. His final assessment was that the Accentra 52i would not fit but a Quad Mt Vernon would. Only issue is he wants 1,700 additional to install a Mt. Vernon.

I don't know a whole lot about it but I'm inclined to agree with you. Is there another dealer who could scope this out for you ?

That additional room will aloow you to increase the hopper size. They don't need more depth, just more height...
Depending on the location of the bottom of your ZC opening & the height of your hearth, you may have to get creative with a hearth riser, but it should look good when you're finished.
I am going to be refinishing the hearth so no riser necessary. I will just stone it lower to make the opening proper sized.

Reactions: DAKSY
I don't know a whole lot about it but I'm inclined to agree with you. Is there another dealer who could scope this out for you ?
I do have a second dealer who will look but he charges 100 to come out and will apply it to a purchase. Rather than him coming out and telling me no I hoped to get some online confirmation.

I do have a second dealer who will look but he charges 100 to come out and will apply it to a purchase. Rather than him coming out and telling me no I hoped to get some online confirmation.
I understand, same thing here ( $100). We were looking at the 52i as well but think now we are going with a stand alone P61A. Taking out the 30+ year old coal stove since now pellets are prevalent in our area than coal is. LOve the look of that insert though, it's a beauty.

I understand, same thing here ( $100). We were looking at the 52i as well but think now we are going with a stand alone P61A. Taking out the 30+ year old coal stove since now pellets are prevalent in our area than coal is. LOve the look of that insert though, it's a beauty.
I heat off a 500 gallon propane tank and have a manufactured wood burning fireplace with a gas insert that could not be draftier. Looking to make that propane set-up a back-up system.

I heat off a 500 gallon propane tank and have a manufactured wood burning fireplace with a gas insert that could not be draftier. Looking to make that propane set-up a back-up system.
Well here propane is $3.50 a gal and oil is $3.65. The oil burner is our central heat, the gas is hot water and stove fuel. With oil that costly it uses nearly $800 worth of fuel a month in this weather, if you don't back it up with something. That's heating 2300 sq ft. I'm hoping to heat 1800 sq ft of that with pellets ( our main house entirely) and I want what ever stove it is to not struggle to do it but live comfortably. It and us ! The other 500 sq ft has to stay on the oil, that's an attached apartment to the main house that we rent out, it's highly insulated relatively new construction and doesn't use squat for oil to heat it.

Anyway, pretty is nice but secondary to our goal.. Still, you got to love that insert !!

Status
Not open for further replies.