added 2nd thermometer not liking what I see

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
I have a Rutland thermometer on the angled piece of my step top stove. I just added an Imperial thermometer to the pipe 18" above stove . Someone told me since it is double wall pipe to just add 100 degrees. My stove top readings are 600 and my pipe is just under 200 on the thermometer. I can see some lazy upper air tube activity and the flames seem to be cruising toward the glass and up over the insulation on the firebrick. on the right side of the stove the glass is all black and the fire bricks are also. but the left side of the stove is clean glass and brick . What are everones thoughts on this. The stove is new the chimney is new and all this is new to me. I am burning white birch and beech right now. Oh and the chimney is 12' straight up through the roof .

Single wall you double, to get an accurate reading with a double wall you need a probe.

Not that it is an accurate measure, but if I recall correctly, when I took an IR reading off the double-wall connector pipe it read about 1/3 the probe temp.

looks like I go shopping tomorrow

i got a probe temp and i love it. much more accuret than the mag type

rdust said:
Single wall you double, to get an accurate reading with a double wall you need a probe.

+1 or +2, +3 or whatever we're up to . . . go with the probe . . . more accurate . . . and you don't have to do any math. ;) :)

Ditto on the probe, but looks like you are grabbing one anyway.

As to the noted performance issues:

12' of chimney isn't very long. Most stoves are designed to have 15' of chimney and higher. That might explain why you have a bit of lazy flame action and some blackening of the glass.

Has your wood been split and stacked for a minimum of 12 months?

Popped off my cap the inside of pipe looks like dull grey primer. The stove manual says minimum of 12' of chimney. .After some looking the lazy flames might be 'ghost flame? The beech was s/s in the early spring. The other wood has dried for 2 years. tops of piles were covered all this rainy summer.the black was gone by morning the fire box looked brand new except for coals and ash. I think I just need to get the learning curve down for this stove? Also the only visible smoke I get from chimney is at start up .

devinsdad said:
Popped off my cap the inside of pipe looks like dull grey primer. The stove manual says minimum of 12' of chimney. .After some looking the lazy flames might be 'ghost flame? The beech was s/s in the early spring. The other wood has dried for 2 years. tops of piles were covered all this rainy summer.the black was gone by morning the fire box looked brand new except for coals and ash. I think I just need to get the learning curve down for this stove? Also the only visible smoke I get from chimney is at start up .

Clean chimney free of gunky or glazed creosote? Check.

Ghost flames/Northern Lights/Propane fires in the firebox indicating secondary combustion? Check.

Wood cut, split and stacked over a year? Check . . . well mostly check. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the beech split and stacked until early Spring.

Black on the glass gone? Check.

Firebox clean (i.e. brick is tan or brown in color vs. black)?: Check.

No visible smoke except for start up? Check.

I think you're right . . . a learning curve. But that said, it sounds like you're doing a lot right based on your observations.

firefighterjake said:
I think you're right . . . a learning curve. But that said, it sounds like you're doing a lot right based on your observations.

x2

PS the Right side of the glass will get dirty first keep an eye on that corner

I have a Kuma Tamarack (the little brother to your Classic), Installed last summer "08" I found that the glass on the door wasn't tightened down and air was leaking in around the glass, Took the door off and removed retainer and found that the gasket around the glass was not installed correctly, fitted it properly and have not had a problem since.

Wanted the classic but it was last year when stoves were in short supply and my dealer wasn't sure he would have one for heating season so I took the little one, He assured me that he would take it back in the spring if I wasn't statisfied, The Kuma is still in my living room and ready for season 2!

If you have the ash pan on yours make sure you get it in all the way after dumping or you will also have a big problem--Don't ask why I know

I also use a Rutland thermometer on the step up and it is quite usual to see temps of 600F+, I start to turn things down when the secondarys kick in right around 600.

The pic was a few days after I installed it.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] added 2nd thermometer not liking what I see
    pd1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 248
Status
Not open for further replies.