Accentra with split in burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

glockshooter

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
Wilkes-Barre PA
Working through some problems with my Accentra FS. Started with replacing a sprocket on the feed motor due to slipping and throwing the chain. Auger was binding up moving the sprocket by hand, so i vacuumed out the fire box and cleared all the pellets in the tube. Auger spun freely by hand, but i found what looks to be a split in the end of the auger tube. I guess I'll be trying to get this out and welded, but what could cause that? How am i getting this apart? Feeling like my season is over.
Accentra with split in burn pot

The feeder will need removed and replaced or repaired. The Accentra is the most difficult to remove the feeder. Harman makes a halo to hold the cast iron together during disassembly. I used a rachet strap on the 1st one I did. Inside the hopper there are plates that need removed to get to hidden screws to get the hopper out.

Reactions: clancey
It happens. A lot rarer nowadays. Quite a few people have sanded it, put a coating of metal epoxy, to get by the rest of a season. Quite a few have ground it down,cleaned and welded them without removal. And, if your unit is older, and has never had it installed, then get and install the air tube crossover kit.

I had the same problem a few years on my 2006 Accentra insert. I was able to patch it successfully with an automotive muffler repair product. It’s a paste that comes in a tube that dries hard. It was a quick and cheap repair (about $10) and is still holding. I know another person with the same stove and issue so apparently it is not uncommon. It seems like there was a problem with the welds in that area. Or maybe there was none - mine didn’t seem to be welded and from you pic neither does yours.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Have it welded. Fairly common issue on Harman's. Much cheaper than replacing the whole feeder weldment. If auger is worn good time to replace that.