A3 steel and wall thickness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DennisA

Oct 1, 2020
Australia
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a convection stove and keen to get some advice on the best steel to use for both the internal fire box and the outer shell. I was thinking a 3mm outer shell in A3 and A3 again with a 4mm firebox construction, the firebox will have skamol firebricks for the sides, back and baffle.

I understand the most important qualities for the steel would be resistance to heat, oxidation and warping but I know nothing about steel so keen to get some advice here.

Many thanks

I would use 1010 CRS (A366 cold rolled steel) . This is a common sheet steel for most sheet metal fab shops in the US. On my SBI stove, the firebox walls are 5mm and the top is 8mm. The outer jacket pieces for making it a convection stove are 2mm, making them easy to bend in a brake and create attachment features to the stove body and hide exposed edges.