A tale of two thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
The one on the stack says Im in the zone. The one on the deck says im overfiring

Who is right ?

My rutland, identicle to your's, is 80 degrees off. Get a pot of water, just before it is a "rolling" boil, dip the thermometer in the water until it is rolling. Don't set it in the water, dip it. If you set in the water it will contact metal and read the temp of the pot and burner. Mine was 80 degrees off....

You may be still overfiring, that I can't tell you but you can synchronize the meters.

I am unsure which is right but..... To look at that stove pipe I have to wonder why is it sooooo white????? Perhaps a chimney fire ???

Shawn

Is that a galvanized pipe? If you reverse them, do you get the same readings?

And it this is insulated pipe it will for sure be cooler!

BeGreen said:
Is that a galvanized pipe? If you reverse them, do you get the same readings?

yes its galvanized

im reversing them now

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
My rutland, identicle to your's, is 80 degrees off. Get a pot of water, just before it is a "rolling" boil, dip the thermometer in the water until it is rolling. Don't set it in the water, dip it. If you set in the water it will contact metal and read the temp of the pot and burner. Mine was 80 degrees off....

You may be still overfiring, that I can't tell you but you can synchronize the meters.

Are the thremoms adjustable ?

Galvanized pipe as stove pipe can equall out gassing from pipe and very, very bad things. Well at least if you want to breath.

shawneyboy said:
Galvanized pipe as stove pipe can equall out gassing from pipe and very, very bad things. Well at least if you want to breath.

ive pretty much cooked everything out of that pipe by now

Not that i'm aware of!

SmokeyCity said:
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:

Are the thremoms adjustable ?

The stove top and flue temp can be worlds apart in the operation of the stove so one could be in an over fire condition and the other one not.

my guess is the thermometer you have on the deck is made for your flu reading so if that would be the temp you would be getting on your flu you would be over heating. What temp do they consider over firing?

I'd put them side by side on the stove top and see if they agree with each other. These are not exactly precision instruments.

Holy crap that stovepipe scares me! There is no way I would have that thing in my house. Single wall pipe is relatively cheap you should replace it.
What are the little bricks on top of your stove for?

ziggy19 said:
my guess is the thermometer you have on the deck is made for your flu reading so if that would be the temp you would be getting on your flu you would be over heating. What temp do they consider over firing?

both say > 550 is overfire

BeGreen said:
I'd put them side by side on the stove top and see if they agree with each other. These are not exactly precision instruments.

ah good idea- they seem close now
i guess there really is a temp diff so

my deck in overfire while my stack is fine ?

how do I fix that ?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] A tale of two thermometers
    sideXside.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 356
BeGreen said:

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] A tale of two thermometers
    sideXside.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 356
I would make sure to calibrate them as I said in an earlier post! If they are 100 degrees off you may be ok!

SmokeyCity said:
ziggy19 said:

there you go, 550 reading on the stack would be too high and your stove, temperature would be 700-750 give or take. but 550 for your stove box is A OK!!!!

ANYONE else agree?

ziggy19 said:
SmokeyCity said:
ziggy19 said:

there you go, 550 reading on the stack would be too high and your stove, temperature would be 700-750 give or take. but 550 for your stove box is A OK!!!!

ANYONE else agree?
Yep 550 overfire would be a temp sensor made for a flue.

550 overfire is for the flue, not the stove top. Those temperature ranges are for when it is used as a flue thermometer.

Before, (did you remove the picture?) I thought you had the thermometer on the stove's top step and that put the reading in the higher range. They read fairly close together at 550F, lets see how they read side by side on the hotter location.

BeGreen said:
550 overfire is for the flue, not the stove top. Those temperature ranges are for when it is used as a flue thermometer.

Before, (did you remove the picture?) I thought you had the thermometer on the stove's top step and that put the reading in the higher range. They read fairly close together at 550F, lets see how they read side by side on the hotter location.

OK so I can expect that the deck is hotter than the stack? yes ?

If so then im OK

SmokeyCity said:
BeGreen said:

OK so I can expect that the deck is hotter than the stack? yes ?

If so then im OK

stove box will be a lot hotter, right now my stove is just about out and I have a flue temp of 220 and my temp guage on the side of the firebox is 420.

Correct, the stove top is usually hotter, except when the stove is first warming up. I would expect to see around 500-700F on the stove top and 200-450 on the flue surface with that stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.