A Question about dating a Jotul stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djkeev

Apr 9, 2017
NJ
I recently purchased a used Jotul F 3CB wood stove.

Cosmetically it is good,
Structurally it is good, no broken castings or damage, good glass, soft gaskets, etc.

The burn plates are all there and are not warped, cracked or damaged in any way.

I do have concerns, the "label" that identifies the model, safe combustible set backs, etc found on wood stoves is not there.

Q. What year were labels required on solid fuel devices?

Jotul made this stove in its current design form from 1995 to today.

Most of the castings have part numbers but no dates except for the upper heat shield, post combustion air jets. This one has a casting date of 10 8 00 which by European terms is August 10, 2000.

Is this a manufacture date of the part? A manufacture date of the mold? Are new units being delivered with that casting date?

If it is a manufacture date of the part, how far ahead do they make parts?

I'm guessing my unit is a 2000 or a 2001 unit.....

Thanks for any opinions or help!

Dave

Without a ul tag it is an unlisted stove which means you need the 36" to an unprotected combustible surface.

Thanks for that tidbit, but it didn t answer my question at all....... do you know what year the tags were required on stoves?

If it is a ul listed stove they have always been required. Your stove without question had one at one point. But at this point since the tag is gone the date really doesn't matter legally is is the same as any unlisted stove.

But to answer your question I believe it was 1981

Is your install going to be inspected? And is your insurance company ok with an unlisted stove some are and some are not. It is a shame it looks like a nice stove but without the tag it can really be a problem. I hope you did not pay much for it.

I owned three 1990's Jotul stoves, bholler, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them had a tag that did not call out any clearances. Just a model number and various certification and patent numbers.

I owned three 1990's Jotul stoves, bholler, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them had a tag that did not call out any clearances. Just a model number and various certification and patent numbers.
It had to have a ul tag if it was made for sale in the us. It may not have needed the clearance info i am not sure

Nothing to really add . . . other than when I first read this thread I was thinking, "You know I love my Jotul Oslo too, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take it out for a night on the town."

I had three, all different years, so I'm trying to remember if any of them had clearances. I do remember the tags changed over the years. I remember the 1993 one had a UL stamp on it, but no listed clearance dimensions.

I had three, all different years, so I'm trying to remember if any of them had clearances. I do remember the tags changed over the years. I remember the 1993 one had a UL stamp on it, but no listed clearance dimensions.
Yeah i have no idea when the tags we know now with the clearance diagram became standard. But i am pretty sure ul listings were required after 81 and to be listed they need a tag of some sort

Oh, it's a genuine Jotul, no I didn't pay much for it and no, there isn't any rigourous inspection required for the stove in the town it will be installed in. I already went down that road.

It has heat shields in the rear and imagine the sticker was applied to them at some point?

Even so, it will be installed in a non combustible masonry box.

Reactions: Ashful
Oh, it's a genuine Jotul, no I didn't pay much for it and no, there isn't any rigourous inspection required for the stove in the town it will be installed in. I already went down that road.

It has heat shields in the rear and imagine the sticker was applied to them at some point?

Even so, it will be installed in a non combustible masonry box.
Then you sould be good as long as your insurance is ok with it. I was not questioning if it was a jotul but legally it doesnt matter.

I am very disappointed in this thread. I dropped in for tips on dating a stove, and there's no romance in sight...
The tip is look at the tsg the date will be there without that tag there is no way to know for sure.

I think this is the third-worst dating tip I have recieved to date.
haha yeah but honestly there is no other way to know that tag has the serial number on it and the date of production. Without it there is no way to pinpoint it.

I'm currently in a pretty serious relationship with my Osburn. But things tend to cool down this time of year. Good luck with that Jotul. I've heard those Scandinavians require a lot of attention.

I would not consider dating a wood stove, even if it's a Jotul. They tend to be either hot or cold and often have bad breath. :p

Joking aside, you probably aren't way off by guessing the stove date. The castings are made in batches. Not sure how large a batch is made, but it seems reasonable to guess around 2 yrs for a batch. It's so odd that the UL tag is no longer on the stove unless perhaps this is a European model?

Be careful when reseating the top. There are two small allen screws that hold it in place. If those screws are not aligned right, they may lift the top instead of holding it correctly in position. You can tell this by looking at it from the side and making sure the top is parallel to the body. If the top is not on correctly the top sealing gasket will leak causing a poor burn and cooler stove top.

Thanks begreen!
My thoughts exactly about castings, make a batch,mretool, make the next batch. This is a Norway unit and not a Maine unit......

The original tag is a metallic sticker on the rear outer tin heat shield below the rear exit pipe.
It is Fairly large, like 7" x 10" or so.

Interesting there isn't any glue residue shadow, I almost wonder if the heat shield was replaced at some point......

No way it made it into the States as a rogue unit.

Inside, the heat plates are in like new condition.

I think all of the true cast iron Jotuls are made in Norway. It's only recently that they started being assembled in Maine, but I think the castings still are shipped over from Norway.

Can you post a shot of the label on the back?

Reactions: Ashful
Bad photo, not my stove ........ it is rare that someone photographs and posts the rear of their stove! It's always nice front shots with a fire burning........

That plate should have a date on it.