a little more heat from the insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
So the brick walls obviously get very hot. I was thinking about placing some duct work with a fan (essentially two diy blowers on each side of the insert) against the walls to reclaim the radiating heat that gets lost in the bricks.

Good idea? Poor idea? What do you think.

Attachments

• 20190912_025819.jpg
    20190912_025819.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 20190912_025812.jpg
    20190912_025812.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 306
Do you have a blockoff plate? I would put some foil faced ceramic wool insulation behind it also

Reactions: Bushels20
I agree with bholler. This same suggestion was made to me last year by bholler. I took his advice and installed an (insulated and sealed) blockoff plate and also insulated around the insert.

Those bricks/firebox won’t get anywhere close to as hot if you place the proper insulation in there and keep the heat in the room.

I noticed a substantial difference in heating ability.

Is this an interior or exterior chimney?

Not related, but the blower will last longer if ash cleanup on the hearth is done very regularly. The blower is sucking in that ash that remains on the hearth. Less dust in the house too.

Cut the fireplace door lip (metal) and pull the insert out of the hole some. Use some 45s or similar if the liner wont match up.

Is this an interior or exterior chimney?

Not related, but the blower will last longer if ash cleanup on the hearth is done very regularly. The blower is sucking in that ash that remains on the hearth. Less dust in the house too.

It's an exterior chimney that one of the previous owners built a garage around it. So that makes it an interior chimney I suppose.

Cut the fireplace door lip (metal) and pull the insert out of the hole some. Use some 45s or similar if the liner wont match up.

I'm not sure I can move the insert forward without hacking away at some of the brick work. I tried using a 45° elbow when I installed the unit a couple years ago but it didn't line up properly

I agree with bholler. This same suggestion was made to me last year by bholler. I took his advice and installed an (insulated and sealed) blockoff plate and also insulated around the insert.

Those bricks/firebox won’t get anywhere close to as hot if you place the proper insulation in there and keep the heat in the room.

Insulate like this? Looks like it would be helpful. Thanks

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/

Reactions: Bushels20

Yes. That’s how mine is done except for the Durock/concrete board. I think you will fine the Roxul is quite rigid and stands up very well on its own when placed on its side to insulate each respective side/and rear of your firebox.

After you install the Roxul and burn for the first time, there will be some off gassing for the first 24 hours or so. It goes away and several others aside from myself experienced the same thing. The smell is similar to that first burn of the season smell. Like burning up the settled dust and dirt from the spring and summer.

Yes. That’s how mine is done except for the Durock/concrete board. I think you will fine the Roxul is quite rigid and stands up very well on its own when placed on its side to insulate each respective side/and rear of your firebox.

After you install the Roxul and burn for the first time, there will be some off gassing for the first 24 hours or so. It goes away and several others aside from myself experienced the same thing. The smell is similar to that first burn of the season smell. Like burning up the settled dust and dirt from the spring and summer.

I cant find any information about my Regency i1100 regarding insulation. Should there be a small gap between the insulation and the insert. Would it be fine to have the insulation flush against the stove along the back and sides.

I cant find any information about my Regency i1100 regarding insulation. Should there be a small gap between the insulation and the insert. Would it be fine to have the insulation flush against the stove along the back and sides.

Threads on here I read when I insulted mine said that either is fine. Some suggested that a gap provided better airflow which lead to better heating capabilities. However, some folks didn’t have the room to do this and the Rockwool was pushed right up against the insert. I will find them and post below. I saved them for when I did mine.

Reactions: beermann
Reactions: beermann
I just looked at the pictures again. That insert is way back in the fireplace. I would change things so it can be pulled forward like mark said. Also do you have a blower for it?

Yes, I have a blower.

My blower has air intakes in the front that are drawing cool air from the room (like any other blower) and stainless steel channels that run along the side of the insert to the back leading to the blower itself. These “channels” are completely sealed on the inside portion of the firebox. And I sealed my face plate (decorative black metal sheet) which then keeps any Roxul fibers from being circulated via the blower. I sealed the face plate with a strip of ceramic wool doubled over.

And my insert is not all the way in to the firebox. I have a Napoleon 1101 which allows for flush or hearth mounting. I have mine hearth mounted.

Yes, I have a blower.

My blower has air intakes in the front that are drawing cool air from the room (like any other blower) and stainless steel channels that run along the side of the insert to the back leading to the blower itself. These “channels” are completely sealed on the inside portion of the firebox. And I sealed my face plate (decorative black metal sheet) which then keeps any Roxul fibers from being circulated via the blower. I sealed the face plate with a strip of ceramic wool doubled over.

And my insert is not all the way in to the firebox. I have a Napoleon 1101 which allows for flush or hearth mounting. I have mine hearth mounted.
I was referring to beerman not you. His doesnt have a blower mounted in the pic and it is stuffed back into the fireplace.

Last edited:
And leave some air space around the insert. I have yet to hear any manufacturer that is ok with insulation right against an insert. Even in the thread linked to fyrebug says that sbi engeneers say to leave a gap

Yes, with a gap that would be ok, just make sure the insulation board is completely non-combustible. Micore will work. Roxul comes in batts and in board form. You would use the board form for this application. Grainger sells single sheets 24" x 48".
https://www.grainger.com/product/ROXUL-1-x-48-x-24-Mineral-Wool-Foil-19NE81

And leave some air space around the insert. I have yet to hear any manufacturer that is ok with insulation right against an insert. Even in the thread linked to fyrebug says that sbi engeneers say to leave a gap

How much of a gap do you suggest?

I was referring to beerman not you. His doesnt have a blower mounted in the pic and it is stuffed back into the fireplace.

Sorry for not getting back to you. Yes I have a blower. And I have been wanting to pull the fireplace out into the living room a little more but the elbow does not fit properly. My next wood stove will have the flue attach from the backside of the unit so I can have the stove out of the fireplace more

Great idea on the Rokul® around the insert. I fashioned
a block off plate and put some up there, but I realize that
much heat is lost out the back side of the brick masonry,
so this makes a TON of sense. I'll get on it before Xmas.

Thanks and Cheers.