A good start...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWNH

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
About 7 1/2 cord split. Another 3 cord of broken down pallet wood in 4x4x4 bins (6 full). Still have another 150 pallets to break down.

This was my 1st year burning. Went thru about 5 cord and 50 pallets this past year between the house (1400 sqft, 24x7) and shop (1700 sqft, daytime only). With all the free pallets on CL, I'll be set for years.

Attachments

• A good start...
    wood.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 742
Do you have ropes tied between the uprights? They look plumb and even. Custom built bases?

Steel cable (left over garage door cables) hold the uprights from spreading. Bases leveled and are 2x4PT 10' long and 6' high.

Right on Peter. Looks like ya got the rest of the year to play. I always find the first part of every season getting the wood and bucking it up is playin. When splitting and stacking, the fun is over. You are really organized. I showed the pics to my wife to make her understand that there are worse people out there than me, AND thats a compliment. :coolsmile: Cheers. NOW GET FISHIN!
N of 60

Very nice Peter...you must have the patience of a saint to stack so square.

Peter, you are to be congratulated. A good job well done!

Peter - that is a might fine job, well done.

(p.s. - would somebody please tell ME to "go fishing"?)

Now that is a mighty fine looking set of wood stacks! Bravo!

2 years stacked beside the shipping container,before going in the container to be kept snow free to maybe be burned that year or the next year.100% red oak.
A good start...

here's my drying rack material. 4"x4" square tubing and pressure treated wood
A good start...

in the event i don't get the wood in the container before snow flies,i don't have frozen wood stuck to the ground! the cement pavers with a piece of rubber for the tubing to sit on holds the wood which supports the firewood up very nicely! the straight pieces of square tubing hold pressure treated together ,while L-shaped tubing makes the uprights.
A good start...

i divide the space in the container,half round wood,half split wood.plus storage for woodsplitter & ATV wood gathering equipment. all the wood i burn myself,like most here.is done this way. hand split wood is the best. but after 5-6,000 cords that method get's to ya' :-/ all other wood goes thru the avatar.

[in the event i don't get the wood in the container before snow flies,i don't have frozen wood stuck to the ground! the cement pavers with a piece of rubber for the tubing to sit on holds the wood which supports the firewood up very nicely! the straight pieces of square tubing hold pressure treated together ,while L-shaped tubing makes the uprights.
i divide the space in the container,half round wood,half split wood.plus storage for woodsplitter & ATV wood gathering equipment. all the wood i burn myself,like most here.is done this way. hand split wood is the best. but after 5-6,000 cords that method get's to ya' :-/ all other wood goes thru the avatar.[/quote]

Fyrewood guy....did you have your L brackets fabricated custom? Purchased? Those are sweet....would like to get something similar.

fyrwoodguy said:
2 years stacked beside the shipping container,before going in the container to be kept snow free to maybe be burned that year or the next year.100% red oak.
A good start...

here's my drying rack material. 4"x4" square tubing and pressure treated wood
A good start...

in the event i don't get the wood in the container before snow flies,i don't have frozen wood stuck to the ground! the cement pavers with a piece of rubber for the tubing to sit on holds the wood which supports the firewood up very nicely! the straight pieces of square tubing hold pressure treated together ,while L-shaped tubing makes the uprights.
A good start...

i divide the space in the container,half round wood,half split wood.plus storage for woodsplitter & ATV wood gathering equipment. all the wood i burn myself,like most here.is done this way. hand split wood is the best. but after 5-6,000 cords that method get's to ya' :-/ all other wood goes thru the avatar.

Show off!!! Im jealous. :p

Some very, very nice pics in this thread. Well done! Good job everyone.

I have been teaching the wood trade to my son forrest,who just turned 14 this past march.
he has been running my firewood processor since age 11
this past week-end i bucked up some 20" long oak off the end of the pile for him to split.
here's some pic's of his first load of wood he split "the old fashioned way".
A good start...
A good start...
A good start...
A good start...
A good start...

forrest says to me,he would rather do it this way than run processor :-/
A good start...
A good start...

maybe after about 10-12 stacks of wood like this,he'll change his way of thinkin' ;-)
A good start...

especially if he does ALL the cuttin' & sharpening :bug:

Nice opertion you got going on there

Nice pics. He should be wearing gloves.

In that last thumbnail, the truck is looking pretty full yet there's more going up the conveyor.

LLigetfa said:
Nice pics. He should be wearing gloves.

In that last thumbnail, the truck is looking pretty full yet there's more going up the conveyor.

i will put the top part of the load in the corners of the upper truck body and onto the headboard for a nice"full" load,that's why some still in conveyor.

as far as gloves go......i guess,it's gonna be the hard way.i insist on eye & ear protection when running processor.i keep telling him to take care of hands,look at mine:
A good start...

firecrackers(homemade) age 11......CHAINSAW KICKBACK NO CHAINBRAKE 2100CD HVA age 34...made'em crooked qiuck :sick:

smokinj said:
Nice opertion you got going on there

thanks....i got bit by the wood bug in '68,been at full time since '73. bought processor 3-4 days after kickback.been one hell of a ride so far!

I wish my splitting by hand meant using a hydraulic splitter :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.