A beast to split...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Now I have to cut off the mushrooming parts on my wedges again... - and I had just done that yesterday...

A beast to split...

That's going to burn great.

Reactions: D8Chumley
In 3 years or so...

Reactions: Supersurvey
Gross. I would have just noodled it with the chainsaw.

That is what I did with these (1' long/ wide) slabs,; given the angled grain, there was no way I could have made reasonably straight splits (so the stack reasonably well).

no way I could have made reasonably straight splits (so the stack reasonably well).
Eh, ugly splits can't wreck your stack if they're on top of it :p

Absolutely right - but I have too many right now, more than I have space in the tops...

Burn all night long. I save all my crotches and knots for overnights.

Yes, though I prefer to play stove tetris for nights, as that lasts me longer. I often use one or two knotty pieces if I want to keep the stove going on low (e.g. all day while using the minisplit in solar) to have it warm, coaled, and ready to go in the evening.