Q&A Pine Firewood from Hurricane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

This recent hurricane that just ripped through North Carolina left a lot of trees down- but mostly pine in my area. My friend and I want to sell firewood to local folks- but I keep hearing bad things about burning pine. I've done some research on the Web and found out that pine isn't as bad as people say. I also read your response to a question about firewood in your Ask the Experts digest.I am interested in your professional opinion on softwood- pine in particular:
1. What are the pros and cons of burning pine? (especially the cons)
2. I've heard firewood should season for at least 6 months. If I'm splitting wood from freshly fallen trees in September- will it be burnable by December? (Will I be ripping off my customers? What would be bad about wood only seasoning for 3 months?)

Answer:

1. The cons are that it is less dense than many hardwoods- therefore a cord of pine has less weight (and BTU value) than oak. Keep in mind- however- that many areas of the US and world burn only softwoods. Usually- if folks can get hardwood- they will opt for that. Pine does have more "sap" content- but this is actually fuel- and it produces heat. You must take care not to burn it with a low smoldering fire- or else a dense smoke and/or tar and creosote will build up. If one has an open fireplace or a newer EPA approved clean-burning stove- this is less of a problem.
2. Well- this is a tough one if the wood was split and stacked and dried in the sun or indoors- it might be ready in as little as 3-4 months. The true test (and something every firewood dealer should have) is a moisture meter (check with places that see lumber for millwork). If the wood has dried out to 20-25% moisture- it should be OK to burn. If the wood is not seasoned- it will be hard to ignite- hard to keep going- and burn with a smoky fire...this will result in callbacks from your customers. I would suggest telling them the age of it. Many customers already have some wood left over from last year- so they'll save yours for the middle or end of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.