90° Elbows and Flue Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Does the type of elbow matter? My single wall has a 90 elbow that is two pipes welded at 45's. Would it help my flue temp stay higher with an elbow with more radius? I understand that a more radiused elbow would increase gas velocity, but I don't know if this affects temperatures.

The best solution to keep higher flue temps would be to use double-wall stove pipe using a pair of 45s with an offset so that the top 45 is right at the thimble.

The best solution to keep higher flue temps would be to use double-wall stove pipe using a pair of 45s with an offset so that the top 45 is right at the thimble.

Then I will save my pennies and do that next year rather than mess with additional single wall stuff.