8" Thimble & 6" Tee Snout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dad

Nov 29, 2019
PA
I'm preparing to reline an existing clay lined chimney with a 6" stainless steel liner. I currently have an 8" diameter steel thimble that has been mortared in. The depth of the existing thimble is about 22". I'm planning to get a tee connector with a long snout. I'm unsure of the best way to fasten the new snout in the thimble and make it sturdy, look nice & easy to access for cleaning.

Thanks for your help

First make sure that the existing thimble was done correctly and has the proper clearance to the nearest combustible. Assuming all is ok, bring the snout out to just past the thimble to join with the connecting stove pipe. Use some 1" rope gasket to hold in place and add a 6" trim escutcheon if desired.

- Thanks.
- You wrote "First make sure that the existing thimble was done correctly and has the proper clearance to the nearest combustible..." I'd like to, but I'm not sure how to do that. The wall that the thimble goes in to is 5-6" thick stone (will add a pic to help illustrate). I was going on the assumption that given that it was used/over used previously, it would not burn the house down.
- Different subject: Any suggestions on how to remove the liquid creosote stain on the stone from the prior owner?

Attachments

• 8" Thimble & 6" Tee Snout
    IMG_20191130_093543574.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 8" Thimble & 6" Tee Snout
    IMG_20191130_093632775.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 103