8 inch Stove Adapter to 6 inch DVL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

beav

Oct 2, 2024
KY
Hello all, new here and glad to have found this place!

I am installing an old Earth stove that has an 8in ID top outlet. My chimney pipe is 6in triple wall and my interior pipe is 6in DVL.

Based on my research here, I have found that it is best to reduce closest to the stove. However, I have not been very successful finding an adapter that will fit on the stove outlet (8in ID) that will reduce to 6in DVL. Am I overlooking it?

Per the image below, will DVL slip over the crimped end properly? If so, maybe this has been my misunderstanding.

[Hearth.com] 8 inch Stove Adapter to 6 inch DVL

Per the image below, will DVL slip over the crimped end properly? If so, maybe this has been my misunderstanding.

View attachment 330326
That is a Selkirk DSP pipe reducer. Not for use with DVL.

What is the stove venting into? It's not a good idea to reduce on this big stove unless the flue system is exceptionally tall and with strong draft.

That is a Selkirk DSP pipe reducer. Not for use with DVL.

What is the stove venting into? It's not a good idea to reduce on this big stove unless the flue system is exceptionally tall and with strong draft.
Earth Stove and the flue and chimney are 6" for a total of about 25-28ft. I can get dimensions of BTU (if it is shown) from the stove if necessary. This is why I also wanted to go with double-wall - to promote more draft.

Last edited:
If it's straight up with no elbows then it might work, but the stove is designed for 8". Also, be sure to respect the clearances for the stove. Do you have the manual? If not, try here:

Thanks for the manual! Mine says it is a "100 Series" and looks similar (not exact) to the one shown in the manual.

After looking the manual over as well as the tag and unless I overlooked it, I do not see a requirement for an 8" flu - beyond the fact that is has an 8in outlet and the manual making reference to 8in flu parts. It does confirm the clearances though. I will need to stay with the double-wall.

With that, I suppose my question still remains...is there a fitting that would adapt my 8in ID stove outlet to 6" DVL?