8" class A Chimney Peak Flashing Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GolrogD

Jun 10, 2024
Michigan
I am installing a 8" class a chimney pipe at the peak of my 10/12 roof. What does this forum recommend for longest lasting with the least (no) maintenance.

I would like to never have to go on my dangerous roof again if I can avoid it.

Thank you.

Will it be going through the peak or near the peak? Through the peak narrows options and can present more challenges structurally.
Put in a premium brand like Excel, Ventis (Olympia or Champion) Is this 8" OD or ID chimney pipe?

Correct no ridge beam, old house.
Actually in this area all old houses have ridge beams most new ones don't. Longest lasting will be one of the top level brands vents Excel or Jeremiah's. And stainless flashing not galvanized.

Don't those systems rely on the caulk that seals the storm collar? No caulk can be expected to last 5+ years I would think.

And makes sense, no ridge beam with trusses.

Don't those systems rely on the caulk that seals the storm collar? No caulk can be expected to last 5+ years I would think.

And makes sense, no ridge beam with trusses.
Every single system on the market uses caulk on the storm collar. And I have 20 year old chimneys out there that I havnt touched the storm collar on yet

Our storm collar is 18 yrs old, never been touched. I think it was done with GE Silicone II.