78 degree rise!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tjm

Feb 25, 2021
Western NY
170A108E-CE07-478C-8600-F301ED60ACA8.jpeg
New blaze king ashford wood insert Is doing alright I’d say… 78° rise! Wife is happy, I am burning up lol

Reactions: Grizzerbear
93 degrees inside. Good grief man . . . I suspect everyone in there is sitting there, sweating in their underoos. ;) :)

Reactions: stoveliker
Back in high school a buddy moved into a newer home with infloor radiant heating (house was on a slab/no basement) that was hooked up to a wood burning boiler thing in his garage. That house was like a sauna in winter. I use to joke to him saying his mom must walk around in her swimsuit. Too much of the good stuff (warmth).

What is the temperature outside? If it’s 93degrees inside!!! Wow

It was 9 degrees this morning and my sister came over to help with my filing and opened the door, it was probably mid 80s. Nothing like wood heat. Not sure I could reach 93 but I know I've hot mid 80s.

Reactions: Tjm
I also got to be a member of the 100°+ differential club one morning when we were having abnormally cold temps a few years ago.

The basement temps shown are of my return air, not of the actual basement.

These are in °F.....

DSC00767.JPG

93° inside...no thank you...way too warm for this guy.

Reactions: stoveliker and Tjm
Funny my inlaws just mentioned that. Feels wrong to let the heat go but at the same time it’s worth the fresh air.
Drys out the inside air a lot to, need a humidifier if thats a regular practice.

Houses with large older windows have significant radiant heating losses out the windows on clear nights. If the heat source is standard wood stove versus wall mounted radiators under the windows, the temperature in the house away from the influence of the windows needs to be cranked up quite a bit. I know personally that if I am within 6 feet of uncovered window on a cold outdoor night, I can feed the cold on my bare skin. Once I installed cellular blinds with side seals on my outside windows I could maintain a much lower thermostat setting.

Sure my wood is "free" but if I can live a winter with 3 1/2 cords instead of 7, I will pick the 3 1/2. I like a cool house to sleep in anyhow.

Last edited:
93? I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'd have every window in the house open or have the AC on. I start opening sliding door a notch when it gets to be 76 in the house while running the stove.

• Haha
That’s the move, I’ve found placing the fans on the cold side and blowing the cold air into the heated room is most effective
That’s exactly what we do. Box fan or utility fan in the doorway pointing strait st the stove. Makes the air do a circle in the downstairs. Haven’t decided if it’s better at the other doorway to blow in and let the hot air leave the upper half of the doorway on both exits or like I said try and get it to do a circle around the downstairs. Got a couple room thermometers coming so I can experiment. Also put a floor register in nearby and fan to suck air upstairs.