7" exterior chimney with a 6" stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burn_your_money

Dec 31, 2019
Northern Ontario
I'm going to look at a used stove tonight and it has a 6" outlet. My chimney is 7" and is outside.

Legally is this combination allowed in Canada? From what I can see online it seems ok but I'd like to make sure before I spend my money.

Thanks

What does the stove manual say?

I don't have the model number so I can't check.

Does the manual trump the rules or do the rules trump the manual?

I believe it was a USA rule I found that showed it was legal but I'm in Canada so that doesn't really help.

The stove manual in this case is the guiding document.

Yes almost all regulatory bodies in Canada will ask you to follow the stove manual. Mine reads:

Your wood stove will provide optimum efficiency and performance when connected to a 6-inch diameter chimney flue system. The connection to a chimney having a diameter of at least 5 inches (Canada only) or no more than 7 inches is permitted, if it allows the proper venting of combustion gases and that such application is verified and authorized by a qualified installer. Otherwise, the diameter of the flue should be 6 inches

But off course your stove may be different.

Much thanks. I will ask the seller for the model number before going and taking a look. Hopefully I can find the manual.

I don't think this is the case here, but if this is a tagless stove, what does the rule state about chimney sizing?

Much thanks. I will ask the seller for the model number before going and taking a look. Hopefully I can find the manual.

I don't think this is the case here, but if this is a tagless stove, what does the rule state about chimney sizing?

I'm not sure.

But if it were me it wouldn't be going in my home, way too hard to prove proper install and clearances chimney height/diameter and proper operation without a manual to follow in the event something goes wrong and insurance starts asking questions.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I went and looked at the stove, it was way too small for my application. It did have the sticker on it though.

My brother loaned me his spare stove to use for the season. This is a simple install in my unfinished basement so clearances or aesthetics aren't an issue. I plan on having it inspected regardless of what insurance says. That's cheap insurance in my opinion. I'll be installing a FW3000.