6 Weeks With the Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShenValSteve

Hearth Supporter
We've been up and running with this stove for roughly six weeks. There's definitely been a learning curve, but I feel good about the stove at this point. We've had some fairly chilly weather since the first of December. The first week we had the stove, we had some cold and windy days and the stove operator struggled to keep up. I was initially overly concerned about overfiring the stove until I learned what it will do. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on it now. The other thing that was obvious was how horribly uninsulated this place was. That problem has been solved. We're adding a 768 square foot addition to this house (two floors) and part of the job for the guys who are doing it was blowing some insulation into my walls. That has made a big difference, as has tearing off the old enlosed and unheated back porch. I just have plywood covering my back doors and windows, but that's a whole lot better than the drafts I had. I'm now able to keep my thermometer in my foyer at betwen 71 and 75 degrees regardless of outside conditions. I've learned to let the stove burn down to around 375 or 400 with the air all the way open, burning my coals down as much as possible, then raking my coals forward before refilling the stove. I then start closing the air down between 500 and 550, and completely closing it at around 600. I think I've got a pretty good handle on things at this point. My wood may not be perfect, as I have a lot of oak that's been seasoned around 18 months, but it's doing all right. Thanks to everyone for their assistance and advice, Jags especially passed along a lot of good information for me.

Now I'm pondering a second stove in my new family room!

You have a great stove.

You sound like me - we knew we had a drafty house, but never realized the magnitude of it until we started using the woodstove.

Good luck,
Bill

With our old smoke dragon, as long as you kept it wide open and loaded up, it didn't matter how cold it was or how hard the wind blew. Of course, you'd go through a truckload of wood in about a week, but it really blasted it out and masked to some degree the lack of insulation.

Steve, the way you are going, next year will be super for you! Don't forget to get next year's wood put up ASAP! Like right now! Wood needs time and air circulation to dry nicely. Give it both!

I've got about 8 loads already, getting ready to bring in another pickup load tomorrow, and I'm fixing to buy two dump truck loads.

Sounds good. Our house is drafty too and we are wanting to replace that old smokedragon with the Isle Royal's slightly smaller brother, the Cumberland Gap. My folks have the Isle Royale too and love it.

Steve, glad you got it all setup and dialed in. i'd hafta agree with you, jags has been very helpful and persuasive on the IR. Sierra guy and Northwinds was a couple of others who stepped up for me. Nice to now that help and advice is out here if we just ask. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.