6" stove outlet to 10" lined chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crucible

Jan 1, 2018
Maryland
I haven't seen much on this specific question.

I will be replaced an old slammer woodstove the previous owners had, and most likely will be purchasing an insert with a 6" outlet. My masonry chimney already has a 10" liner installed. The vendor said something about installing a new 6" liner inside the 10" liner, which seems like overkill? I understand that ideally you want the same size all the way up, but is it worth it if I have to pay $2,000 more to get that done?

Is it possible to double up increasers? I.e., get a 6" to 8" increaser, and attach that to an 8" to 10" increaser. So it would be woodstove 6" outlet --> 6" to 8" increaser --> 8" to 10" increaser --> 10" lined chimney.

I'm rather new to this but most of the threads I have read dealt with going from an 8" stove to a 6" inch liner, and not the situation that I have now.

Any thoughts? Would there be expected problems if I went from a 6" stove outlet to a 10" lined chimney?

I appreciate any help!

I’m not an expert by any means either. It sounds like there would still be a liner all the way to the top, so it’s not an issue of ashes getting outside the liner and falling back down the chimney to the stove. But I would imagine that what you are suggesting might make getting a good draft started a bit more difficult. It also might lead to cooler exhaust temperatures more quickly, which I suppose could be an issue depending on burning habits.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable and with more expertise will be along shortly. Good luck with the new stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put in the correct size liner but I am not sure why they would charge so much to add a liner. You could do it yourself for much cheaper. How long is your current liner?

Reactions: saewoody
I would put in the correct size liner but I am not sure why they would charge so much to add a liner. You could do it yourself for much cheaper. How long is your current liner?

This is a good point. It would probably be a piece of cake just sliding it down through the existing 10” liner. There would be plenty of room to work I would imagine.

This is a good point. It would probably be a piece of cake just sliding it down through the existing 10” liner. There would be plenty of room to work I would imagine.

It still had a slammer in it which means a couple hours of cleaning before it is suitable to have an insert installed in it. The damper frame may still be in place which would have to be dealt with. Plus a liner will cost the same regardless of what it is going into. Depending on the height of the chimney $2000 may not be out of line. And no you cant run a 6" stove into a 10" liner. It just wont work well at all.

They quoted me $1100 for materials (about 18ft. of 6" of M-flex stainless steel liner) and $1050 for the labor of putting in the liner and hooking everything up.

bholler, why won't it work well? Is it the draft? Is there a danger or chimney fire due to smoke buildup in the 10" liner? Is running a liner within a liner a problem?

Thanks all.

They quoted me $1100 for materials (about 18ft. of 6" of M-flex stainless steel liner) and $1050 for the labor of putting in the liner and hooking everything up.

bholler, why won't it work well? Is it the draft? Is there a danger or chimney fire due to smoke buildup in the 10" liner? Is running a liner within a liner a problem?

Thanks all.
A liner within a liner is no problem at all. There is a potential problem with bad draft. You will also have more buildup due to the expansion of gasses which will cause cooling. That could lead to a higher risk of chimney fire.

That and by code and manufacturers instructions you cant go up in size that much.

I credit @coaly for pointing this out but flue area;

6" = 28"
8" = 50"
10"= 78"

You can see how dramatically out of spec even an 8" flue would be.

That makes sense. I certainly don't want to be at an increased risk for Chimney fires or outside of code. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get the new liner. Thanks to everyone for your help!

How was this a slammer instal if it has a liner? Or are you referring to clay tiles?

How was this a slammer instal if it has a liner? Or are you referring to clay tiles?

We found out the slammer was literally just pushed into the fireplace and sealed around the edges. There is no liner connecting the outlet of the slammer to the chimney, it is just open space between the two. That was scary.