6.5 foot Chimney from roof line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
Ok, so the location of where I want to install my stove is on the southeast side of my house.

The location where the chimney is going to come through the roof is 12' from the ridge of the house.

My question is, the chimney is going to be 6 to 7 feet above the roof line. Is this too high?

The chimney is going to penetrate the eve of the house too, so should I support the chimney?

Here's a picture of the location I'm putting the chimney in. It's going to come out the top of the alcove behind the fence, up the side of the house and through the roof 6-7 feet.

Anyone have any pointers or input on how to support the chimney once it exits the roof?

Thanks [Hearth.com] 6.5 foot Chimney from roof line?

Last edited:
Mine is about the same location as yours and is a little over 5 feet above roof line i used the selkirks roof support bc i used their chimney pipe but it holds rock solid.6 feet is fine the max is 10ft so you are fine but you HAVE to use a support on it for sure.

Ok, my only question with the support is, the chimney will be on the side of the house, only penetrating through the eve above the alcove.

How would I use the supports with only one side of the chimney having roof to attach the support too? (Because the chimneys on the side of the house so there's not enough roof on both sides of it, above it to tie into).

Also, the roof is pitched down, if I put the support on the north side where all of the roof is, do I adjust one leg so it's longer to makeup for the pitch of the roof?

Thanks for the help.

both the support bars are adjustable so yes you can adjust them to fit to the pitch. You can bend the tabs how ever you need to on them also

Would building a chase up the side of the house and the length of the chimney be better to support the chimney?

Having stucco I'd most likely have to cut the stucco off where the chase would go against the house correct?

Does anyone have any experience building and framing an exterior chase on the side of a stucco house?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.