6” preinsulated liner in 8x13 clay flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
anyone know it will fit. I’m seeing the preinsulated liners are 7 1/2”. So if I do the math right. Would 1/4” on two sides do it? Anyone do this before?

Is that 8" x 13" OD or ID? Best to make sure. If OD and the ID is smaller then look at the DuraLiner system. It is preinsulated and has an OD of around 6 5/8". DuraLiner is rigid, so you would need a straight chimney without offsets. They make it in oval sections too and a flex connector for tying in the stove.

Last edited:
Pre insulated liners are excellent for straight runs in 12x12s....but 8x13.....it aint happening unless you break out flue tiles.
Im assuming your appliance has a 6" flue outlet...therefore you must maintain the proper cross sectional area in the liner........you will need a 7 inch dia liner ovalized to proper size to give you at least 28 sq inches, then add 1/2 wrap to that and put it down.....recommend a pulling cone.

Reactions: bholler
What mark said

Unfortunately that’s going to be like finding a unicorn. Two companies I talked to have told me insulated liners are not needed, on my exterior 30’ chimney. I doubt I could find a company to offer 7”, never mind ovalize. It would be like finding a company to make a block off plate.....impossible. Either pay up for poor craftsmanship and bad product or DIY. Thanks for replying

Unfortunately that’s going to be like finding a unicorn. Two companies I talked to have told me insulated liners are not needed, on my exterior 30’ chimney. I doubt I could find a company to offer 7”, never mind ovalize. It would be like finding a company to make a block off plate.....impossible. Either pay up for poor craftsmanship and bad product or DIY. Thanks for replying
Keep looking. There has to be some company servicing LI that cares about code compliance.

Thanks, will call company recommend in another thread, might have to settle for uninsulated, Push as much rock wool in I can, and make my own block off plate.

Duraliner comes in round or oval and is made to solve this problem. This is what Hogwildz used in a similar install.

Duraliner comes in round or oval and is made to solve this problem. This is what Hogwildz used in a similar install.
There are plenty of localized liners that you can order. Both preinsulated or uninsulated that you could wrap.