Insert Installation in a Doublewide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RazrRebel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Southwest Virginia
I'm thinking about buying a Buck Stove Insert to put in our existing fireplace. I will have to do the installation myself. Our firep[lace is a prefab with the individual masonry fireboards inside. I haven't looked behind these to see, but do I leave them in or remove them? Do I remove all of the outer trim and just replace with the trim kit? What about the electricity for the blower? I just need some information before I go and order one and get in and not be able to use it. The one I am looking at is the Model 21.

Better make sure you prefab fireplace will accept an insert. Measure it and get the model number. You could check with someone (buck stove dealer or call Buck stoves and talk with a tech).

I would not remove the fire brick. Plus, you need to make sure the flue is HT rated for the insert. You may have to add a liner to it. Running elect to it would be easy. Could be done from under the home.

I would make sure the install is inspected and approved for safety sake.

You can email your questions to them (broken link removed to http://www.buckstove.com/requestform.html)

Or get a contact number and talk with someone.

The insert must be certified by Buck as suitable for mobile home installation. If not, you are risking the lives of you and your family.

I just did this myself can search some of my threads if u like. I'm still changing somethings tho.

Allright the model 21 is prefab approved. I reread the measurements and measured my fireplace and it looks as though the 21 will fit all the way into the existing fireplace without removing the panels. Only two inches will be out on the existing hearth. Now how about the flu. Will a regular stovepipe between the top of the stove and the flu pipe be sufficient?

Buck Stove website says only certain of its wood stoves are mobile-home approved. The Model 74 specifies it is mobile-home approved. The Model 21 says nothing. I take this to mean that it is NOT mobile-home approved, but I'm sure a call to Buck Stoves would clarify this quickly (assuming you care, of course).

Do you have any picture of your current configuration?

I'll post pics of my current fireplace tonight when I get home. It is a pre-fab fireplace with a 8" double wall pipe. I can fit the model 74 also. Today I'm going to mock up a cardboard box to the model 74 specs. and take home tonight and see how it fits. Well I am at work, gotta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.