52i start up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thundercracker

Sep 1, 2014
Massachusetts
hi all, need some troubleshooting

my 52i was installed last month, and we have been enjoying the stove more than we thought. we usually have it on for a couple hours in the morning and then in the late afternoon. not needed overnight use yet.

have cleaned the stove about once so far (only burned 7 bags).

the other day, i turned the stove on after a night of being off, the temp in the house was about 63 and noticed that after several minutes there was still no flame. the burn pot was full of unburned pellets. i ended up empyting the pot,(i did notice some pellets that were singed) starting again and raising my temp to 75(was 70). that seemed to work. temp probe is as far away from the stove as it will allow and on an inside wall.

any suggestions? might i have knocked some dirt in somewhere i should 't have? I only vacuumed the ignitor box when i cleaned it, tried hard not to move anything in the ignitor box,

let me know your thoughts. maybe i just need to wait longer?

thanks

Ours takes about 10 minutes from switching it on to a small flame. Just be patient and give it time to heat up. I throw a small handfull of pellets in the burn pot on a cold startup. From everything ive read ignitors either work or they dont, so if youre getting singed pellets its doing its job. Did you clean out all of the little holes in the burn pot?

Yeah all the little holes are clean. 10 min to get a flame? I thought it was faster than that. Maybe I'm not being patient. Thanks

Im burning some bottom of the line pellets (they were free with stove install) so maybe thats why its longer than others? Once lit they keep the house toasty though so I cant complain. Put a timer on it and see how long it takes. As soon as there are pellets in my burnpot i can hear poping and cracking. If there is an issue with yours better let your dealer know ASAP to get it fixed, cold weather is heading our way.

My wife and I had a P52i installed about two weeks ago, and we are still learning the in's and out's of this stove. You mentioned that you've cleaned your stove once and you only cleaned your ignitor box. I would make sure and scrape your fire pot before every use. Some pellets leave more ash and build up then others. If not cleaned this can affect your ignition time. We also used to play around with our pellet feed rate but after doing a bit of research here on that topic we pretty much just leave it on the recommended #4 setting. I think changing your feed rate can effect start times. With our feed rate on #4 I have never seen the pellets get any closer than an inch from the edge of the fire box. I had my doubts on the accuracy of the temp prob at first. The first couple of times I would try and start the stove in room temp mode the stove would be set to 70° I would turn the stove on and it would start the ignition process then turn off. I would then turn my temp switch up a few degrees and the ignition process would start. I thought, there is no way it was that warm in the house already, then I took an accurate digital thermometer and checked the temp at the probe, it was 72°. I don't worry too much about the probe doing it's job anymore. I will check my start time when I get home and post it for comparison.

I did a quick scrape of the firebox when I got home, made sure the feed was on 4 and started the ignition process. It took six minutes from start to flame.

Reactions: Big papa
Thanks for the replies. I timed a cold start up. 6.5 min from cold to a flame.

Thanks for the replies. I timed a cold start up. 6.5 min from cold to a flame.

That's fine. My installer said you add a couple of handfuls of pellets to the burn pot only if the stove ran out of pellets. If you shut it down yourself, meaning there are pellets still in the auger area, just start her up and it should light up fine.

Ok thanks. Next question for you all. What happens when the electricity goes out while your stove is on? I have the recommended battery backup, but it will only run for 12 min or so after outages. Will I get smoke in the house?

Ok thanks. Next question for you all. What happens when the electricity goes out while your stove is on? I have the recommended battery backup, but it will only run for 12 min or so after outages. Will I get smoke in the house?
The backup up that you have is just enough time to shut it down with out a smokey house in the even if a powered outage .

Status
Not open for further replies.