50's Corner Fireplace-modernization ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snealer001

Nov 5, 2018
Raleigh, NC
We live in a 1956 ranch in NC. We have done lots to update our house but the fireplace remains a challenge. It is on the corner of a large brick structure in the middle of the house. So, 2-sided with a black, steel post on the corner.
At this point, we are just looking for something that looks decent and burns since it is right at the entry to our house.
One suggestion we get is to fill in the short side with bricks to make it easier to install gas logs since it would hide the gas line and not require making it look decent from 2 sides. I'm concerned about this idea since it would require removing the steel support...doesn't seem like a single course of brick would support that corner but I'm not a structural engineer.
Anyone have experience with this? Any other ideas that don't hit the $3K mark.

Thanks,
Stephen
50's Corner Fireplace-modernization ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for a wood stove or a gas fireplace? Are you a DIY'er? I've seen some nice ideas online for that style of fireplace but they all seem to be pretty pricey. Have you checked Craigslist for a wood stove that might fit that opening? Keep in mind you might need to extend that hearth area if you go the wood stove route. I had to do that in a 60's era rancher I lived in. I had a floor like yours and had to extend the hearth out with tile into the wood a couple feet and add insulation to protect the subfloor.

Looks like they want gas. The gas line is already in place. The best person to ask this question would be a mason. A single course of bricks may work, perhaps with an angle iron corner if more bracing is needed.