36" wood splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I don't know if this is the right place to post. If not please move.

I recently bought a semi load of boiler wood cheap. It's split boiler sized. Big 36" chunks so I need to rework it. I've been looking at splitters and don't see anything that will handle a log over 26". What are you guys using to split your boiler wood?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a wood splitter in the USA that can split wood that long. I’m sure they exist but they’re just uncommon for consumers. In Germany where I used to live, 1 meter (40 inches), is a common length of wood, so they have splitters that big. Maybe a 3-point splitter attachment imported from a metric country is your best bet LOL

I don't know if this is the right place to post. If not please move.

I recently bought a semi load of boiler wood cheap. It's split boiler sized. Big 36" chunks so I need to rework it. I've been looking at splitters and don't see anything that will handle a log over 26". What are you guys using to split your boiler wood?
Do a tempest search for Craigslist and Facebook. There were some company's that made a splitter for making spit rail fencing parts. Danuser was one company that made a three point splitter that did 48 inch wood. Most of the ones I have been around that were built to do boiler wood were homemade units.

I'll probably cut these chunks into short lengths so I can split them.