30 years of hand splitting over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I finally picked up a 25 ton TSC splitter. Up until last year the vast majority of my wood was maple, white birch and ash and it all got split by hand. I usually use about 3 to 3.5 cords a year. On occasion I would grumble through beech and yellow birch. With my new woodlot, I really need to switch over to beech as it desperately needs thinning and after picking the easier variety of woods last year and avoiding the beech, its time to get serious so I picked up the splitter. The larger beeches do not have much signs of blight so I am leaving them alone but the small to intermediate ones do so I will be splitting mostly 4" to 12" diameter. I helped a friend build a couple heavy duty splitters many years ago when heavy duty units were rare to find and helped him split wood for many years so I have the experience. I was considering building one to attach to my Unimog SEE using the built in hydraulics on my SEE but it would cost as much as an entire splitter.

The only thing I notice on the TSC splitter so far is the paints pretty thin.

Reactions: lsucet and SpaceBus
Not 30 years but i split lots of wood by hand as a teenager and sold it to neighbors for gas money. I knew when I bought a home with a wood burner that I would want a splitter. You wont regret it.

I still hand split smaller strait grain stuff with a maul or axe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Congrats @peakbagger I too made the leap during last winter when having a severe bout of arthritis. Got a used Menards unit for $300 from a craigslist ad. Swinging a splitter was a good form of exercise for many years but our bodies have their limits. My only gripe is the noise.

I’ve had good service out of my 25 ton...
3fc9be1ecad528fd657e3058dbf659ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: lsucet
I am impressed with the design details on the splitter. I was popping some 16" beech rounds and did not stall it. The only quality issues I see is pretty thin paint and the Kohler air cleaner design that allows water to leak in through the wingnut and collect on top of the air cleaner cover. I think I can put a O ring on the wingnut and solve that issue. As for the paint I will keep an eye on it and get out the sandpaper and give it another coat when it needs it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Buy a cover for it and keep it covered when not in use.
Then there is no rain or sun damage

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
Your going to get lazy, going from hand splitting, lots of time, lots of effort, but enjoying most of it, to just watching the cylinder go in and out. Not something to get the endorphins going. On the other hand I feel for you. Having also split mostly by hand for many years, there's a kind of zen in wood cutting and splitting that gives a sense of satisfaction - till it doesnt. A growing pile of tough splitting wood is one motivator to change. Been thinking of a splitter here for years, and figured when the time is right, so be it. Last fall, a life changing accident did just that. The result, a tsc25ton same as yours. It's nice to get a whole bunch of work done in very little time, but my usual mid winter routine has now changed. You'll like it after all, its a nice splitter.

I've been looking semi-seriously for a splitter as well. For me, my hands and wrists don't like impacts anymore.

I've been reading old threads about the various brands--and I'm curious about how you ended up with the TSC (Countyline, I'm assuming) 25T.

I'm pretty sure the size is all I (or most people) need--just curious if you have current observations comparing the various brands?

Some reasons for TSC

I wanted something local. I currently do not have a vehicle with a standard ball hitch. I have two Unimogs with pintle hitches but no ball hitch and the pintles are way up in the air. The cargo bed has 4'6" lift height so lifting a splitter in and out is not something done easily. This cut me down to Home Depot, Lowes and TSC. TSC is in my town while Home Depot and Lowes is 45 minutes one way. its a lot easier to ask a buddy to meet me at TSC than a road trip. The Lowes and Home Depot models in the same price range were not in stock and shorter warranty periods. TSC has a $100 off various splitter models routinely so when the sale came out on this model I grabbed it.

I wanted a two stage pump, based on past experience I would not go single stage as the travel is usually slow or the splitter has a tough time splitting the big rounds. Its got a reasonable speed good for one or two folks but may be pokey for someone with multiple folks hauling the wood away or a conveyer.

I wanted a name brand engine with a reasonable warranty. I also like that they have fuel cutoff valve integrated into the engine so I can run the gas out at end of season. I generally use ethanol free but still like to drain small engines.

I didn't need a large beast like a 40 ton, its heavier and the larger units tend to be bit thirstier. Moving this one around is still tough for one person.

The TSC splitter is convertible to vertical splitting. I have to handle my rounds anyhow to get them out of the woods and most of my wood is less than 16" so not sure I will use vertical but for winter storage a vertical footprint takes up less space in the garage. This conversion design also means when the splitter is horizontal the beam sits higher. I would much rather lift the wood a bit higher than be hunched over a small unit.

The down sides this unit is ; the engine should have a open grill type guard over it. Since I will normally split solo I tend to split until I run out of wood for the splits with the splits mounded up side of the beam. In theory a split could bouce over to the engine. A guard would prevent that. The second issue generic most small splitters is small wheels. Yes they may be road rated but I far prefer a full size tire with large wheel bearings. If the large tires are run on low pressure they prove some limited suspension compared to tjhe smaller wheels.

If someone goes through 6 to 8 cords a year like my neighbor I agree a splitter is a needed tool. Its bit less needed for 3.5 to 4 cords a year. My prior source of wood was selective cuts out in the woods on someone else's property. Access was poor so I usually would drop the trees, then buck and split them in place then lug them out to my truck. It worked well for maple and birch and a Fiskars but beech can be hard to split. Now that I have my own woodlot loaded with beech that needs cutting the splitter makes more sense.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I actually am not a fan or tarps or covers for winter storage outdoors. I typically get 3 to 4 feet of snow cover in my yard at some point and the snow tends to eventually get inside the cover. In the spring when the snow is thawing and the ground is wet the freeze thaw cycle tends to draw the water vapor under the tarp and then it condenses when it cools down. Its better than nothing but I prefer it a garage with just a blanket over it so vapor doesn't get inside.

The cover is much more durable than a tarp and should last many years.
Reguarding covers ... I just uncovered my two snow blowers , damp and moldy..I do not think there is enough air getting to unit under a cover … The tarp with bungies keep 90% off my splitter .. just my 2 cents

Reguarding covers ... I just uncovered my two snow blowers , damp and moldy..I do not think there is enough air getting to unit under a cover … The tarp with bungies keep 90% off my splitter .. just my 2 cents

Same thing with my BarbQ grills - the ones I covered always rotted out in a few years from trapped water vapor.

My uncovered one is going strong since 2006. Maybe in a dry/less humid climate this would not apply.

All my covers are made from the same fabric as car covers
Will not let moisture in but lets it out
No rotting or moisture problems here. My 12
year-old BBQ is like new But then all the covered equipment
is put into a portable garage for the winter with the south-facing
end removed so they get no rain or snow on them

A tarp is a poor equipment cover I've learned. My splitter cover does let moisture out. It stayed so dry during this wet year that many spiders now live under mine.

I've been looking semi-seriously for a splitter as well. For me, my hands and wrists don't like impacts anymore.

I've been reading old threads about the various brands--and I'm curious about how you ended up with the TSC (Countyline, I'm assuming) 25T.

I'm pretty sure the size is all I (or most people) need--just curious if you have current observations comparing the various brands?
I used to have both, the 25T and the 40T. Both from TSC. I sold the 25T and just keep the 40T.
I get occasionally, some huge trunks of cottonwood and other species from trees cut in town and they can be hard and huge plus the moisture is bad. The 25T struggle with those and more with the cottonwood that are so twisted. The 40T doesn't care, it goes thru with no problem. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_120847687.jpg
    IMG_20171202_120847687.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 136
I actually am not a fan or tarps or covers for winter storage outdoors. I typically get 3 to 4 feet of snow cover in my yard at some point and the snow tends to eventually get inside the cover. In the spring when the snow is thawing and the ground is wet the freeze thaw cycle tends to draw the water vapor under the tarp and then it condenses when it cools down. Its better than nothing but I prefer it a garage with just a blanket over it so vapor doesn't get inside.
Canvas tarps breath and they are loose enough to get some air under them. Weigh them down with cans filled with cement and a hook.

Your going to get lazy, going from hand splitting, lots of time, lots of effort, but enjoying most of it, to just watching the cylinder go in and out. Not something to get the endorphins going. On the other hand I feel for you. Having also split mostly by hand for many years, there's a kind of zen in wood cutting and splitting that gives a sense of satisfaction - till it doesnt. A growing pile of tough splitting wood is one motivator to change. Been thinking of a splitter here for years, and figured when the time is right, so be it. Last fall, a life changing accident did just that. The result, a tsc25ton same as yours. It's nice to get a whole bunch of work done in very little time, but my usual mid winter routine has now changed. You'll like it after all, its a nice splitter.
I use a hydraulic splitter but it doesn’t seem to be doing a whole bunch of work in very little time. I have hours and hours on it in the last few days and my pile of wood is only half done! I must be doing something wrong. I am looking into a smaller 4.5" cylinder to speed things up a bit though.

Attachments

• CC8AF639-B34A-427F-B24D-9360518FD04B.jpeg
    CC8AF639-B34A-427F-B24D-9360518FD04B.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 127