25-PVDC Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tpmcx

Dec 28, 2017
Ohio
Im working only daughters 25-PVDC stove
Its just a year old and has ran pretty much no issues till yesterday
I went over and found the stove would lite and run about 5 min after the start up cycle was complete then the top
auger would shut down, it would give e1 then e2 code
I went ahead and took the exhaust blower apart and cleaned it and the cavity plus hose to vacuum swith
The hose was cracked at the blower so I cut it off and put everything back together with a new gasket on the blower
Figured the cracked hose was the problem
I clean all the rest of the stove and made sure the other vacuum hose was clear
Put the stove back together and let it start up again
5 minutes after the start up cycle it shut down again
Bad part about this is that pellets are still smoldering for awhile but the exhaust blower would shut off
Causing smoke not being exhausted, not sure why they built the stove this way
I checked the vacuum switches with a meter and found the one attached to the firebox wasn't pulling in
I rechecked the hose and port and all was good
I found if I laid the switch on its side it worked but not if mounted on its side
I tried another used switch I had and got the same thing
Not sure what the issue here is, just bad switches or lack of vacuum
Im ordering a new switch but what else concerns me is should the exhaust blower be shutting down?
At first I thought the issue may be the heat sensor not closing shutting the stove down and also the exhaust blower
Not sure how the system really works

Welcome tpmcx. As you face the front of the stove, the right had louvre you can see the vacuum hose for the upper auger make sure the ends are good on that hose and clean the port it is attached to. Also try taking the impingement plate out and use a bottle brush and a small hose attached to the vacuum and clean out behind the fire wall a lot of ash ill collect it there. Do a YouTube search for leaf blower trick. Thats the best way to clean out a stove.

Reactions: BackDoc
Thank you
I did clean the port your talking about and removed the hose to check it.
I removed the large plate about the burn port and scraped and vacuumed all that I could get loose
I went through the stove pretty good cleaning it, it was full of ash
Its too cold here now to get it outside to clean it with a leaf blower if that's what you are talking about
Doesn't seem to have enough vacuum to pull that vacuum switch closed but possibly its just the switch is bad
Is it normal for this model to shut down the exhaust blower when it shuts down because of a vacuum switch issue?
This bothers me because pellets haven't burned completely out but the exhaust blower shuts down so there is no exhaust
to remove smoke

Leaf blower cleaning takes 5min outside. It should yield the best results. Once the stove is perfectly clean, listen to ssyko. He is the englander guru here.

Reactions: BackDoc
Believe me I listen,I know he knows his stuff
I had only heard of the leaf blower cleaning for the chimney
Did a google/youtube search and found how to clean the stove using one
Going tomorrow to buy one
Still wondering if the exhaust blower should shut down soon as the stove errors out
I would think the blower would run until the heat switch cooled down and opened up
Thanks for the help

Well englander doesn’t use snap disc’s on the pdv & pdvc they use a thermister. If the stove has run long enough for it to go into “run mode” usually about 12- 15 min, and it errors out the combustion blower should continue to run till the stove cools down. Now if it doesn’t get up to temp and errors out it will just shut down. That is one of the reasons englander requires the stove to be installed with an oak. Natural draft clears smoke

you could try removing the thermister connection on the bottom of the fire box in the back and clean it up with some steel wool/sandpaper then reinstall. Make a better connection. Also check that the hopper lid switch is working. the hopper switch is in series with the vac switch and controls the upper auger

Believe me I listen,I know he knows his stuff
I had only heard of the leaf blower cleaning for the chimney
Did a google/youtube search and found how to clean the stove using one
Going tomorrow to buy one
Still wondering if the exhaust blower should shut down soon as the stove errors out
I would think the blower would run until the heat switch cooled down and opened up
Thanks for the help
Dosnt sound right to me. Btw, the leaf blower gets all ash from around the heat exchanger. Amazing what u cant get with the shop vac. 25-PVDC Issue

If I jump out the vacuum switch or lay the vacuum switch on its side the stove will run fine and never put down
So the main issue is with the vacuum switch
Doesn't make sense then why the exhaust blower shuts of as soon as the control errors out
Almost seems like an issue with the temp sensor too than but I would think the stove would shut down because of the temp switch

Ok when you lay the vac switch on it’s side it is allowing gravity to help close the switch. Vacuum in the stove starts with the combustion blower. If it cant move enough air through the stove it will error out. The thermister is the only temperature sensing component in that stove, it’s input of when the stove reaches curtain temperatures tells circuitry in the control board to decide when convection blower comes on or turns off. Or if an overtemp condition turns off everything. The englander is highly sensitive to being clean and thier venting is on the weak side.

Reactions: Pellet rick