25-pdvc tuning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 27, 2017
?????
Hi this is first post first full year with pellet stove. I live in upstate NY Adirondack mountains and mother nature is bi polar here we have had temp changes from -40 to +40 in 24 hrs I have a England stove works 25-pvdc with OAK and 3" vent with Curran premium hard wood pelts. So this year our vent was about 75℅ plugged in the through wall part cleaned that and thoroughly cleaned everything inside the stove, stove worked great for a couple months then my upper auger motor went I replaced the motor checked all my pipes found no problems looked at the cage for the room blower find out very blocked now when we adjust the blower we can actually hear a difference and feel airflow change. So ever since I did that it seems like the stove doesn't have the heat output is not very hot. I looked on this site tried the 4-6-1 setting and if we run the stove on 9-9 it's still a little chilly in the house I have to clean the grate in the burn pot many times a day it is loaded with ash no unburned pellets our glass seems to get blackened totally within 6hrs so I get it's running rich. Tried to see what burn mode the stove is set to but can't get it to display a letter. So maybe someone can give me some fine tuning numbers we can run on mild days and cold days so we don't have to run at 9-9. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hello
The default setting for max heat is 6-4-1
However that stove only puts out 25k BTUs and if you run it on Max Heat 9-9 it is working the stove very hard.
Therefore I would suggest a larger 50-60k BTU stove or get another stove and run 2 stoves.
Also - Do you have enough insulation and thermopane windows? Air sealing is also very important too!
I just built a brand new 12x'x22' 2x6 workshop and used atleast 6 tubes of high temp silicone for air sealing before adding any insulation! That makes a difference.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I guess I should have explained a little better the air coming from the stove is not hot like it use to be since I cleaned the dust from the blower

OK I just noticed the heat blown from the stove is way hotter almost 60 degrees left side vs the air coming from the right side 185 vs 125 this doesn't seem right

Have you tried calling the people at England's Stove Works at 800-245-6489 .They can get you all the info about your stove and problems .

No I haven't called them I was going to try here first I just find it really weird that since my stove only blows from one vent and it's divided internally that the left side is very hot and the right side is just warm

I don't have that stove but it would seem to me that there is still a blockage somewhere causing the airflow and temperature difference. I would check that and maybe find the highest setting that you can run with a cleaner burn and run it that way. Also make sure combustion blower is clean.
I know what you mean as to the weather up there I use to live north of Plattsburgh just a few miles from the Canadian border. And -40 degrees is where the F and C scales meet.

Sounds like you have ash buildup in the exchanger. I have a 25 pdv which is the big brother to yours. I actually rigged a plastic tube to the shop vac to snake down in the crevasses. It's a pain but if you look behind the big plate above the burn box there is an opening for the exhaust. You need to vac all the way to the bottom and clean it out. Then I hook a leaf blower up to the outside exhaust and let it rip . Just make sure you disconnect the two vacuum hoses. When mine got ashes up it acted the same as yours. Now I do weekly cleans

We have some cold weather coming so I'm going to order a new combustion motor because the stove is a 2008 and I'm going to order every seal and gasket we had renters here for about 4 years so I'm sure they didn't do proper cleaning or used good pellets once I have everything I'm going to disassemble everything I can scrape clean and blow every inch. Thanks for all the replies

Well got the tuning fixed took the burn pot out it was loaded with debris on the inside walls now the flame looks great ash build up is down to a minimum the glass has gone 3 days without cleaning I scraped and cleaned everything I could reach the temp on the right side came up 5 degrees so this spring I'm going to remove the stove and see what's blocking that side the house is toasty a bag of pellets is lasting 24 hrs so I can wait until then

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Hi this is first post first full year with pellet stove. I live in upstate NY Adirondack mountains and mother nature is bi polar here we have had temp changes from -40 to +40 in 24 hrs I have a England stove works 25-pvdc with OAK and 3" vent with Curran premium hard wood pelts. So this year our vent was about 75℅ plugged in the through wall part cleaned that and thoroughly cleaned everything inside the stove, stove worked great for a couple months then my upper auger motor went I replaced the motor checked all my pipes found no problems looked at the cage for the room blower find out very blocked now when we adjust the blower we can actually hear a difference and feel airflow change. So ever since I did that it seems like the stove doesn't have the heat output is not very hot. I looked on this site tried the 4-6-1 setting and if we run the stove on 9-9 it's still a little chilly in the house I have to clean the grate in the burn pot many times a day it is loaded with ash no unburned pellets our glass seems to get blackened totally within 6hrs so I get it's running rich. Tried to see what burn mode the stove is set to but can't get it to display a letter. So maybe someone can give me some fine tuning numbers we can run on mild days and cold days so we don't have to run at 9-9. Thank you for your help in advance.

I have the same stove and also the big brother PDV. IMO Currans are JUNK! At one time I burned hardwood and after reading a few posts and speaking to a tech at Englander I switched to Blazers, which are 100% softwood. When I burned hardwood I got a huge buildup in the burn pot, glass was black and my stove was filthy in a few days. After switching I clean the burn pot maybe every 12 hours and the glass remains clean. My PDV is totally different and burn hardwood Prestos without any issues. My bottom numbers vary depending on the outside temp, but usually 3-6-1 or 4-6-1. I also have plugged the 2 large air holes (using magnets) under the burn plate, which forces more air through the burn plate for a nice steady burn. Now regarding cleaning..... YouTube pellet stove exhaust cleaning using leaf blower! After vacuuming the inside thoroughly I remove the baffle plate and using a hammer I tap the back several times loosening the fine ash. This will also loosen ash where you can't see and eventually the leaf blower will take care of that for you. I also have a modification on my ash vacuum using a small tube and sneak it down into the heat exchanger. I think that's enough for now.... Englander customer service IMO are very good and is free! Good luck and let is know how you make out.

Reactions: Pellet rick
If the room blower was very clogged, would suspect the heat exchangers may have trapped lots of dust/hair/etc. Never thought of running the tube I use for cleaning the exhaust internals up the air inlet between the room blower and the heat exchangers.... added to the spring clean list!

Not sure on the England Stoves but my room blower sits on one side of the stove so would suspect that blower positioning may effect air movement in those heat exchangers. Ones closest to the blower may move more air ... less time for air to heat in the exhangers? Just a thought ...