25-PDVC auger questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Hi all,

So I'm getting ready to put the stove back together... when it came apart, the bearing (hex) set screws were not tight, so the shafts were pretty much free to spin inside the bearing. Was that on purpose or should these get tightened down?

Also even though the bearings are sealed, there was a small quantity of light oil in the bearing block cavity. Was this put in there for a reason?

And lastly, there were no fiber gaskets on either bearing in our stove. Should I put the new ones on anyway?

Thanks!

Nathan

Hi all,

So I'm getting ready to put the stove back together... when it came apart, the bearing (hex) set screws were not tight, so the shafts were pretty much free to spin inside the bearing. Was that on purpose or should these get tightened down?

Also even though the bearings are sealed, there was a small quantity of light oil in the bearing block cavity. Was this put in there for a reason?

And lastly, there were no fiber gaskets on either bearing in our stove. Should I put the new ones on anyway?

Thanks!

Nathan
When you say hex was not tight do you mean the set screw in the collar that connects the motor to the auger? If so they should be tight.

My bearing block has a grease fitting.

Yes there should be a gasket between the bearing block and the stove.