2024/25 VC performance discussion thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
This is just a general discussion of how our stoves are running any specific questions regarding our VC stoves should have its own thread so the topic doesn't get lost in the shuffle here.

Any specific topic that will require its own thread for technical questions like, stove maintenance, rebuild, ect will be asked to have its own thread

This is just a fun thread general discussion of how the stove is running, pictures if the nice fire view, cooking a meal ect and positivity..

I'm ready to start burning. We have 80's coming up this weekend so it won't be anytime soon but I am definitely getting twitchy.

The move last Feb went well. We stripped the cabin and took the VC Dauntless Flexburn with us to the new property 4 hours east to the high desert.
The new house is so efficient with insulation and previous owner installed a pellet stove with a timer and programmer built in. So for now, our 2 season old VC hangs out in my shop with me as I do projects. Shop is not insulated yet, and I have been working on that before I put a chimney up in there.
I am looking forward to burning waaaay less wood in the years to come.

Stove/liner is all cleaned out and ready to go for the season! Curious, what do you use to wipe down the exterior of the stove?

First fire is in. Burning as low as I can. STT just under 400, cat cruising at 1200, about a half load of wood. I'll just let this burn as long as does keep the chill out of the house.

First fire is in. Burning as low as I can. STT just under 400, cat cruising at 1200, about a half load of wood. I'll just let this burn as long as does keep the chill out of the house.

Really.. ilts looks like a couple weeks.. I like the house cold

Fire in the hole in CT.....

A helpful tip for all of you: Clean out the stove pipe from the previous season before lighting the fire.... The order is very important, clean out first, then light....

My smoke alarms are all fully functional. Tested and approved.

FYI... took out 4 gal of hard black crunchies that had fallen down over the summer. My usual amount.

Sure does.... but that's what I usually get. Not saying its right, but normal for me. Really makes me wonder what that cat is doing for me...
That was 4 cords worth of fires.

I would agree with that being a lot. I figure I went through 2.5, maybe 3, cord last year and maybe got a coffee cup worth coming out of my stove pipe. I suppose that periodic 1,800+ degree cat take off cleaned out some.

I had about 1 gallon of "crunchies" after burning ~3 cords last year. When I cleaned the flu/pipe a few weeks ago, top down, some of those crunchies ended up behind the damper plate which prevented the damper from opening/closing correctly. Be sure to vacuum behind the damper as well as around/below the catalyst and clean out the vent holes in the combustion plate. I'm glad I checked that before I finished up!

I had about 1 gallon of "crunchies" after burning ~3 cords last year. When I cleaned the flu/pipe a few weeks ago, top down, some of those crunchies ended up behind the damper plate which prevented the damper from opening/closing correctly. Be sure to vacuum behind the damper as well as around/below the catalyst and clean out the vent holes in the combustion plate. I'm glad I checked that before I finished up!
I have had that happen too... I just rattle the damper a few times to clear them out and fire it up to burn them off.

Had few smaller fires here so far. Got cat lit off & cruising at 1100 for a few hours, STT = 400 -450. 1/2 load of red oak.

Way to early to claim victory, but so far so good.

I have had that happen too... I just rattle the damper a few times to clear them out and fire it up to burn them off.

Had few smaller fires here so far. Got cat lit off & cruising at 1100 for a few hours, STT = 400 -450. 1/2 load of red oak.

Way to early to claim victory, but so far so good.
And what a sweet victory it will be.

Got home from the last camping trip of the season and it was 55 in the house. Started up the first fire of the season! Cat at 660 and climbing.

[Hearth.com] 2024/25 VC performance discussion thread

First fire of the season! Recently put in a steel cat and installed the Auber Instruments AT-100. I’m really liking the steel cat so far and the digital cat thermometer is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: Todd