2016 in review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Post your favorite hearth.com moments of 2016. Mine was a late entry, this year:

Rant follows----I may be a cynic ( flame away oh you %$#@ ), but anyone seriously using wood for heating knows ( knows ) that there is really really no such beast as sold truly seasoned firewood. Most of us righteous woodpile fanatics either: 1. harvest their own from varied sources dead green in time to really really season for correct burns, sometimes years, or , 2. if you buy firewood ( you silly %$#@& ), buy it green just cut in time for you to stack it for proper drying ( e.g. "seasoning" ) sometimes years.
There are no other ways to get firewood ready for winter ( unless you are a moneybags needing to buy KILN DRIED firewood which is like gold or the same as those fossil using people.)
"We sell seasoned firewood" is like "I will love you in the morning". Rant ends.

Reactions: DUMF and Poindexter
Not looking to have a thread moved to the inglenook because of a well meaning response of mine again in 2017.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Post your favorite hearth.com moments of 2016. Mine was a late entry, this year:

Why thank you Ashful ( the man with the most wood stoves in a single venue ). Compliment appreciated.
My comments are curmugeonly, done with some tongue in fat cheek, some truth, humor, but also to stick in the eye of the righteous, who KNOW all.

This biz of heating with wood is an art. There are no right answers or correct ways to use a fuel and technologies that are so dependent on users.

One beef of that those of us who use wood near 100% for heating energy that we harvest year after year, is why wood heat is not among the so-called "renewables" like solar, wind, ground source/heat pumps, and those so very 'green' Hubris vehicles ( errrr, Prius's ). And this WWW that we all waste too much time on, ain't BTU free bubba.
Am I doing another rant ? ;em

My favorite one was from DUMF too. But it is one I deleted. >>

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
None in particular but I've learned how to run on 100% wood, and now our summer utilty bill is higher than
winter or the shoulder seasons due to running the A/C. With the shack being around 80 in the stoveroom,
70's in the hall and kitchen, each bedroom door is it's own thermostat fer sleepin'.

That being said (typed) I dunno why peeps feel that I'm entertaining, correct, stupid and waiting for someone to post
the family obituary, or enjoy the redneck typin' style, 60+% of my messages have at least one "like". (as shown on left)
It's certainly NOT my stunningly hot 50 year old bod or lady-swooning good looks, my loving wife assures me.

This site certainly is addictive as shown on left also as I have averaged just over 1 message per
day since joining. Letting this wood collecting and burning thing become my obsession sure is
much happier than the drink and the pill I pursued feverishly for the previous 30 or so years. Sober
a good few laps around the sun/ Son today and living out my days with a clear head, and loving life
since moving to the country 5 years ago and NEVER going back to the two cities that comprised my
first 45 years. Thanks for tolerating me y'all, and thanks for saving me from the "stove of death", the
dreaded #2421 boxstove.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful