2008 Blaze King Ultra Part question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverp

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Montana
Do you guys know the Steel Cat dimensions for the new Blaze King> an 1107 Ultra ...Im going to pull mine out and clean it in vinagar and water solution. I want to replace the gasket around it prior to re-installing. I need to know the dimensions of the CAT and the gasket so I can order the gasket material and have it on hand prior to starting the cleaning.

For those that have done this before, do you need to unthread the 2 nuts that are on the bottom portion of the Cat facing the fire box to get the cat to come fully out?

Thanks

Patrick

Attachments

• 2008 Blaze King Ultra Part  question
    100_1717-3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 285
Mine's a 2009, I have to remove the flame shield, then the cat-combustor comes out.
From owner's manual:
"Remove the flame shield - the perforated plate that is just above the inside of the door opening. Lift slightly an pull it forward and down"

insulating material, 2" X 30", BK dealer should have it.

Attachments

102_4184.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 252
As you can see in my picture above I dont have the recommended 36 inches of vertical prior to my elbow. I do have some smoke spillage out the door every timeI load. I turn the air wide open, crack the door for a bit to get things moving up and turn off the fan but I still get some roll out the top, If I burn down to bright charcoal and its red hot then there is none but most of the smoke is already burned up at that stage anyway. The Manual says to run double wall to the chminey, do you think running doublewall up to the elbow, then the 31 inches of horizontal to the masonry chiminey might help? When the stove is disconnected the draw on the 8" single wall horizontal pipe is decent enough to hold a paper towel tight due to natural draft from the internal chiminy....so I really dont know why I get smoke out the door. I end up having to load really fast.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Patrick

Mine does the same thing, smoke comes out the top right corner. My set up is like yours.
I feel I'm getting plenty of draft.
I don't believe double wall pipe would change anything.
I didn't have that problem with my old BK, but it didn't have a cat, (not that one with a cat should smoke into the house when loading)
I load fast, &/or sneak the pieces in with the door not fully open.
Maybe we could get a piece of cardboard(or something) , fold it & hang it over the top part of the door opening while loading?

Hi Dave, seems we are in the same boat...dont exactly know the solution....

anyone else got a clue?

Thanks

There seems to be reports of this with any installation that isn't by the book. With double wall and a straight up chimney, I don't get any smoke even if I open early in the burn. The smoke kind of curls at the upper part of the opening but stays in the firebox.

I may have enough room for 2 45 elbows.
May try that next.

Attachments

wd bx full.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.