2 ply liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
kind of a hypothetical question here. If a 2 ply ss liner was installed without insulation and there were bends in flue and ss liner was roughed up and outside wall of liner integrity was compromised enough to be a safety issue , would that be likely to show up on inner wall of liner during inspection? I can see what appears as a very small dent I can see on inside of liner (maybe 1/8 of inch at most pushed in over small area). I cannot see outside of liner the ways it curves in flue. I am thinking it is fine but have heard that liners can get banged up during install and the spot where "dent" is appears to correspond with where liner hooks around curve in the flue.

It is probably fine but it may not be there really is no way for us to knw without good pictures

Sounds more like a buckled spot on the inside ply than damage from the outside. That inner ply is spiral wound, not seamless like the outside layer and in uncoiling the things some/all times places in the inner ply buckle. The outside ply is probably fine.

Sounds more like a buckled spot on the inside ply than damage from the outside. That inner ply is spiral wound, not seamless like the outside layer and in uncoiling the things some/all times places in the inner ply buckle. The outside ply is probably fine.

Now that I think of it, couple years back person who swept liner got brush stuck up top chimney. They pulled up fairly hard at first, but then bent back bristles to get brush back up (poly brush). How likely would this pulling up on liner have caused outside of liner to be compromised as I suspect it would have been up against offset in chimney about 4 feet down from top? I'm guessing it's tough question to answer definitevely but curious what thoughts are on this. Thanks

I think using a brush that tight in a liner like that could cause lots of problems they really are delicate on the inside but I doubt it did what you say. But who knows it could happen.if you are that worried about it you are going to have to check it out.

On the Light weight smooth wall liners, usually if you have a dent in the outside, you will see the inner ply also has a bump there also. Pretty common, and like others have said should be fine, but without pictures, we can't be sure. I've seen liners that have been swept and the brush will catch on the inner ply and cause it to pull some of the sections up slightly. Still not a real issue.

On the Light weight smooth wall liners, usually if you have a dent in the outside, you will see the inner ply also has a bump there also. Pretty common, and like others have said should be fine, but without pictures, we can't be sure. I've seen liners that have been swept and the brush will catch on the inner ply and cause it to pull some of the sections up slightly. Still not a real issue.
It can be that area can be a hot spot due ro the extra turbulence and can lead to premature failure. That and it traps dirt and will only get worse over time. That is why we will not install them at all