1998 Harman P-61 Used Two Seasons - Good or Bad Purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pickncrew

Dec 26, 2013
North Franklin, CT
Going to look at a1998 Harman P-61 ($1,500) that was used for two seasons... anything I should watch for when I check it or any concerns about that model year? It's supposed to be in excellent condition. I don't think it had auto-start then but I am not concerned about that. I want to get something better than my Englander but don't want to spend the $$$ for a new one. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'd be skeptical of only being used for two seasons being that old.

Reactions: St_Earl
True, true... he sounded like an older man (70ish?) and he mentioned something about the chimney needing to be relined or something... i will get more info later though.

Hello

You cannot go wrong with an old Harman P61. The shell is built like a brick house! The price is still kind of steep, I purchased my year 2K Hamy1 for $1200 and that came with the gold trim and scenic tile.

You can update to the auto ignition kit for only $400 - $500 and it is well worth it. Some parts may need replacement like the room blower or exhaust fan so check those out in test mode. The auger should be fine but the auger motor could need replacement but not necessarily! The old P61 circuit boards do not have the latest algorithms and bugs out but do work fine except run a little hotter and use more pellets. That is why I highly recommend the Auto Ignition kit that comes with a new burn pot, ignitor cradle, ignitor, circuit board and panel plus a new wire harness! Only takes 1 hour to slap it all in and then you will have a machine that is better than new,just like mine. I also got the updated black door for $200 and the nickel trim kit for $200. Then I finagled a new ash door and ash pan that has the recess for the scenic tile. Not a big deal, I just wanted mine totally up to date. You will also need a good paint job with Stove bright "Satin Black" stove paint and a hopper extension to keep your pellet fills down to once a day in heavy use. The hopper extension is a breeze to bolt on and well worth the extra doe! ! !

Good luck but talk that price down and tell him this is what is needed to bring it up to this century!

Reactions: ZBrooks
I agree with Don in that though it may have been used only two years its sitting could be just as much an issue with motors. Amazon has the exhaust motor right now for $101. I would offer under a grand and that may well be half of what it was paid for it new. If you got a seasons use out of it you can collect everything for a off season upgrade. Expect the worst and hope for the best:) I got two months use out of a cheap stove before I am now having a couple issues with it and it has saved me enough over propain to almost pay for the new parts. Hope they come quick as we are supposed to have a 4 day stretch of not getting above 0. Good luck

I think I'm going to take my chance and get it. It's been kept in a controlled atmosphere and physically looks like it's in excellent condition - no rust or pitting anywhere; it looks almost new. Test mode seems to work fine, blowers blowing, augers auging. Has the original manual. He offered to light it and show me how well it works but I declined, out of trust... probably a mistake. The man's father only used it a few seasons and then he had someone convince him he needed a chimney liner (for the furnace) and then after that he couldn't use it for the pellet stove. Not sure if I fully understand that but chimney was altered in any case and I guess he didn't want to punch a hole in his siding. He would only come down $100 as he knows what they cost new, but it is still the least expensive Harman I've seen around here. I need either a 61 or 68 for the BTU factor.

I think I'm going to take my chance and get it. It's been kept in a controlled atmosphere and physically looks like it's in excellent condition - no rust or pitting anywhere; it looks almost new. Test mode seems to work fine, blowers blowing, augers auging. Has the original manual. He offered to light it and show me how well it works but I declined, out of trust... probably a mistake. The man's father only used it a few seasons and then he had someone convince him he needed a chimney liner (for the furnace) and then after that he couldn't use it for the pellet stove. Not sure if I fully understand that but chimney was altered in any case and I guess he didn't want to punch a hole in his siding. He would only come down $100 as he knows what they cost new, but it is still the least expensive Harman I've seen around here. I need either a 61 or 68 for the BTU factor.

You still did very well! You cannot go wrong with a Harmy!

I have 2 P61s that I updated to P61a-2. You can always do that in your leisure. Welcome to the Pellet Pig Harmy Club!

I hope you don't get hooked on buying them like I did!

I bought 4 so far, but I sold 2 and they paid for the other 2! LOL

See!

Attachments

• 1998 Harman P-61 Used Two Seasons - Good or Bad Purchase?
    HarmanP68inShed.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 482
    HarmanP61a-2--Garage.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 596
    HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 407
    HarmanP61aShed.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 489
You still did very well! You cannot go wrong with a Harmy!

I have 2 P61s that I updated to P61a-2. You can always do that in your leisure. Welcome to the Pellet Pig Harmy Club!

Harmy??? Seriously Don?

Reactions: P38X2
Since its a manual light have you gotten it up to temp for sure? Is the exhaust fan running? Might be the gaskets are not tight enough to satisfy the vacuum switch? I would jump vacuum switch and give a try. Now you know the reason we said to offer less:(

Ahh there's a sucker born every minute... that damn craig's list. Auger won't turn in run mode, works in test mode.... on to troubleshooting.

I just put a brand new circuit board in a P61 manual light because the board was flaky. Now all it needs is a burn pot cradle and a ignitor for auto lite!

Your unit being that old will need a new burn pot and cb for auto light. It is still worth it!

Jump the vacuum switch and see if the auger turns but it may start turning after prrof of fire. I always upgrade the manuals so not sure how they work!~ LOL
You should PC Louseyweather, he has a manual lite so he can tell you how it should work. :)

Last edited:
I jumped the vacuum switch (bypassed) and got it hot... room blower seems like it should be blowing but it's not. The exhaust is blowing... also I caught the auger coming on once and stopping while in bypass. Pointing to logic board? So I can't just put the 61A board in without putting in new pot and CB? what is a cb anyways?

I jumped the vacuum switch (bypassed) and got it hot... room blower seems like it should be blowing but it's not. The exhaust is blowing... also I caught the auger coming on once and stopping while in bypass. Pointing to logic board? So I can't just put the 61A board in without putting in new pot and CB? what is a cb anyways?

cb = circuit board. Harman does not call it a control panel becuse they sell the circuit board and panel seperately. :)

Yes, you can throw a new Automatic Circuit board in, just have to run it with the Auto / Manual toggle switch in manual which is in the down position. If you use your old panel then you have to drill a hole so the toggle switch will poke thru the panel. :)

It takes a while for all that iron to get up to temp. I would try another start up with the bypass on the vac switch and see if the auger will come on after it gets going good. Could be dealing with a plugged vacuum port or line, or gaskets have taken a set and are leaking so much vacuum lost. Hope for the simple first. It is a older stove and will need some tlc. Gaskets are a easy project and under $20 for the supplies and even a cheap drill powered wire wheel.

That vacuum switch... it has one hose going into it from the inside of the stove and the other port is open with no hose, is that tokay? I see stove parts unlimited has that upgrade kit for $640... anyone else sell it? Not seeing any others on google. P/N 1-00-06400

That vacuum switch... it has one hose going into it from the inside of the stove and the other port is open with no hose, is that tokay? I see stove parts unlimited has that upgrade kit for $640... anyone else sell it? Not seeing any others on google. P/N 1-00-06400

I have a used burnpot that will hold an ignitor and wire harness with ignitor wires that will get you up to snuff real cheap. PC me with your email address if you are interested.

Yes , only one hose to one port on the switch. Try and blow through the hose into the stove to see if there may be a blockage. If you connect a hose to the vacuum switch you should easily get it to close by sucking on it while having it hooked up to a ohm meter. Vacuum is satisfied by very little. If I remember ideal stove vacuum is .15 inches of water. Probably more than you need to know right now.

Room blower comes on based on ESP temperature.

have u tried lighting the stove without the vac switched jumped? Auger wont turn until it sees 140-165 deg at esp. As long as comb fan is coming on start the stove and let it run and see if auger starts once a good fire gets burning. If auger will turn it test mode w/out vac switch jumped that rules out the gaskets and switch. If you have a harman in test and open the door the auger stops.

I was on a job last week working on a p61 manual lite. I replaced dist blower and room sensor probe. Then I asked customer to start stove like they normally do. She filled burn pot about 1/2 w/ pellets then pulled 1/2 a bare corncob soaked in charcoal lighter fluid out of a jar and threw it in and lit it. She then threw more pellets in and covered it up, turned stove on and shut the door. The stove took off and had the dist fan on in about 7 minutes! It came up to temp as quick as a auto lite harman! Best way to start a manual lite Harman that I have seen yet and I have a manual lite P38 and service Harmans. I need to go out in the field and gather some cobs.

Omg pretty funny, never heard of that method lol. And yes, it seems to work fine in test mode and had burned through several pots and auger & room blower yet to turn on automatically. Stopped on the way home from work and picked up a new style control board, 1-00-005886, set the dip switch (no red wire probe) and going to give it a try and see what happens. One question... the new style board does not have the connector on the bottom for the micro-switch, only ESP connector. I guess I don't need to worry about the micro-switch now huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.