1975 VC Defiant Side Door Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bstorms

Sep 28, 2019
Albion, CA
Hello!
I've just moved into a rental with a 1975 Vermont Castings Defiant. Been reading quite a bit on this forum about this stove and I learned some good things: 1. Clean the ash from the back chamber, and 2. This stove is overkill for Northern California.
I have a problem with the side load door. The handle has broken off of the shaft and the door is stuck shut. It looks like a set screw is broken and stuck in both the handle and the approximately 1/2" of shaft that protrudes from the door...
This Defiant probably dates from around 1985. I don't see a model number anywhere but it matches the original 1975 manual and descriptions I've found here. At this point I think I need a new part for the side door handle. So, a few questions:
1. Is this the right part? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...aft-for-defiant-vigilant-stoves-p/5004244.htm
The vendor says the part works with model 1, etc. I have no idea what model I have. And the house definitely does not have a manual for this stove (though I think I downloaded the right one from here)
2. If so, can I remove the original ceramic handle and use it with this replacement part?
3. What is the best way to get the old shaft out of the door, and install the new one? The door will open, but it isn't opening easily. There is definitely creosote build up on the latch and inner parts.
Attaching some pictures for guidance.
This beast seems like a great old stove. I cleaned a lot of ash out of the back recently, and thanks to this forum I found the air vent at the lower left side and I have a good understanding of the thermostat lever and plate. Among other things. Hoping to get that side door working, as the front doors do seem to push smoke out a bit when I load wood.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• 20191013_111303.jpg
    20191013_111303.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 20191013_111226.jpg
    20191013_111226.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 242
i'm not sure of the size rod on your stove but good possibility that it's the same as my defiant 1 and if so my handle is all metal

The Defiant 1 has a single piece fire black, the 1A has a two piece fireback. There is an obvious seam that runs right to left on the 1A. When I bought the conversion kit to switch my used single piece Defiant 1 to a 1A, it came with a new door but the old handle was re used. The original Defiant 1's had chrome single piece handles. The handles got hot so a pot holder or a welding glove was standard equipment for opening and closing the doors. They went to the two piece ceramic on later models although I believe they are interchangable.