17/12 pitch advice on a gambrel garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scottfarna

Mar 13, 2020
niagara falls
Hi guys ... recently discovered this forum and think its awesome. Wondering if its possible and reasonable to go out a 17/12 pitch on a metal roof. What type of boot can do this? The garage has a gambrel roof. Is it better to go straight up and this type of roof or go out the wall ?

if the roof is too steep that you don't feel safe walking up it and need to do it repeatedly(like to clean/inspect chimney) I would suggest a roof ladder.

12/12 is a 45 degree pitch. 17/12 is much steeper than that. I don't know if they make a boot for a roof so steep.
As for going out the wall, these modern stoves do not like bends they want a pipe straight up. And you are talking about two 90 degree bends to go out the wall.

What kind of stove is it?

Hi guys . The stove is a vogelzang defender epa
.. the local wood stove store I called said they can get me a boot for a metal roof for a 12/12 to 21/12 pitch . Im just having a hard time picturing it .

Here is the garage and I would like it on the east wall. So the class A would penetrate halfway up that steep pitch

Attachments

• 17/12 pitch advice on a gambrel garage
    20191018_164824_HDR.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 134
Here is the garage and I would like it on the east wall. So the class A would penetrate halfway up that steep pitch
Are you in the us or Canada?

Ok just checking. Woodstoves aren't allowed by code in garages in the states. Your codes make much more sense
Ohhh really... we can have them here if all regulations are follwed and the installation gets a Wett certification. Insurance coverage depends on the appliance/ installation being certified before burning wood. From what i understand at this point.. someone chime in please if im wrong.

Reactions: charger4406
Ohhh really... we can have them here if all regulations are follwed and the installation gets a Wett certification. Insurance coverage depends on the appliance/ installation being certified before burning wood. From what i understand at this point.. someone chime in please if im wrong.
You are absolutely correct

Reactions: charger4406
I think you could use two 22.5 or 45 degree bends to offset the pipe and go through the shallow part of the roof

Last edited:
I think you could use two 22.5 or 45 degree bends to offset the pipe and go through the shallow part of the roof
I wish i could but there is a second leve in that garage . There is a room that is 13x30 with 8 ft high walls ... i can either go out the wall or straight up out that steep part.

If you can get the right boot, then going straight up would make the most sense. But honestly, either way you'll need a pretty tall chimney to satisfy the 10/3/2 rule, so having a couple 90s going out the wall would probably not kill your draft too much either. And avoids a roof penetration that could leak down the road. Just my opinion