15 Cord Firewood Shed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
Figured I'd post up some pics and details as I go on my new firewood shed.

Its going to be 14 x 27 post spacing with roof coverage of 18' x 30' . 3, 9' bays. Rear height of 6'8" and ftont height of 11'2". Saltbox style, with a front overhang of 3'x3'.

Dug and poured my sono tubes last week. Ordered all my materials last week, but am still waiting on the metal roof to come in. Lumberyard would only deliver once, so I went down today and picked up all my posts and 2x10s. Basically all lumber under 16'.

Truckload of process is coming Monday, so looks like that will be waiting until the roof is done. Too much bracing in the way now.

Posts are set and braced. Need my 16' rafters to continue, but my truck isn't really setup to transport 16 footers, so I'll be waiting till the roof delivery comes in.

Thinking I'll use some inexpensive PT deck boards spaced out for the sides.

Should hold 5+ cords per bay. Over 15 total.
IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2310.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be awesome when completed. What will the floor be made from? Pallets, gravel?

I built on top of concrete piers as well. I think it is the way to go from now on with treated lumber. It looks great and solid.
On a side note, I see your sawhorses. I discovered that I beam design a few years ago and they have been the best sawhorses I have ever used. Other people see mine and are now building theirs with the same design.

On a side note, I see your sawhorses. I discovered that I beam design a few years ago and they have been the best sawhorses I have ever used. Other people see mine and are now building theirs with the same design.

I have been around building a good portion of my 58 years and never saw them done any other way. What other designs have you seen or used?

I guess it would be hard to explain, but I have used a variety of styles but that is by far the best. I am 6'4" so make mine a little taller than average and I use a 2x6 on the top. The larger top and overhang allows me to clamp materials to the sawhorse or use it like a small work bench.

That is one good looking firewood shed. Five gold stars.

looks really nice! Every time I see one being built I say "i should really build one!" but then I don't. I also like the sawhorse design... way better than the plywood/A Frame / 4x4 design (although they did their job)
PXZ6U2O975fZsRfcneKVsT53BIQ8u_tLhGC9mqCZ2n1koTc1w61fWF6rWwI7tE2vms-yVZaerjDd8Vxlsnw=w736-h552-no.jpg

gXHgZu0l.jpg

I build log cabins. My sawhorses really get a workout.
Here I am laying out the dovetail notch on a white pine log.

This vertical 2x6 is really strong. Of course, all my saw horses have names.
This one as you can partly see is Little Sorrel. I am from Georgia.
Little Sorrel, of course, was General Stonewall Jackson's horse in the war.
My other saw horse is named Traveller.

Reactions: Sawset and Lone_Gun
Slowly progressing on the wood shed. Roof is fully on and screwed.

Still have fascia and trim to complete. Need to remove the temporary bracing and replace with permanent. Need to remove a little material on the high side and then start bringing in gravel.

I'm still debating sides, but that can wait. I think i will move right into splitting once the roof and gravel is done.

I'm not crazy about the galvanized roof. When the sun hits it like a mirror. SO BRIGHT. The shed is in the woods, but is visible from the edge of the back yard. Wishing I went with green.

Overall very happy with the outcome so far.
woodshed.png
woodshed1.png
woodshed3.png

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That is looking good.

Yes I know what you mean about sunshine and galvanized metal. I used galvanized steel on my carport and the reflection is bright! I wish I had used green like my woodshed.
You might look in to painting that galvanized steel.