1200i red light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaxnhole1200i

Jan 7, 2018
Jackson, WY
Hey people,
My first post, though I have followed this site for a few years now.
I have a quad 1200i that has me stumped. The stove runs normaly for a few cycles, then stops and the red reset buttom is lit. I press the button and the stove runs normally for a few more cycles then repeats. I have replaced the thermocouple, control box, door gasket, glass gasket and vacuum hose. Any ideas???

Never heard of a reset button that is lit. What year stove is this? kap

that red light is the call light, it comes on when your thermostat says it wants heat. how is the flame when it does run is it above the burn pot? does the fire burn itself out and needs to be reset? what is your hopper feed set at?

flame is above pot, I think it's adjusted about right. It runs through the complete burn cycle, then shuts off (no red light), then thermo calls for heat and it doesn't start til the reset button is pushed. The stove burns correctly about 80 to 85% of the time.

When it calls for heat, does the red light come on, and does the exhaust fan come on?

my 1200i does the same thing sometimes..still have no clue why.It will run 2-3 cycles and then misfire.I empty burnpot hit reset button and it will fire.Then there is times it will run for a week with no issues. I just cleaned my stove yesterday and it has given me issues since had to reset it 4 times since. I think it might have to due with the feed rate & the cleanout door adjustment.

Hmmm....2001 stove? Wondering if you have the old style capacitor off the auger motor and it is running in reverse on restart. Might be worth checking.

Reactions: kappel15
Some possible misfires for some reason as suggested above, or capacitor going bad as suggested. Cheap route is to buy a capacitor jumper to install inline. Cheaper then a whole new auger motor.kap

doesn't try to feed pellets, nothing is running at all until I press restart, so don't know how auger motor is involved. How would clean out door affect restart ? I have also changed out thermostats, thinking maybe not enough voltage or amperage to trip contol box. No effect that I can tell.

This is how it works. You have a fire going and it goes thru the cycle, and shuts off. Next time it calls for heat, it drops pellets and gets a fire going too late, as stove only has x amount of time to show proof of fire. Fire dies out, and red call light is still on as it didn't get a fire and satisfy the thermostat. So, when you hit the reset button, it is like turning tstat off and on, starting cycle over again. kap

Even after hitting reset button?

when it calls for heat no pellets drop and no fire tries to start. Then when reset is hit it runs again normally
rut ro...next thought is control box. Perhaps a pull and reset of the control box once unplugged? Test the box at your local dealer to see it works properly? I would still check the capacitor to make sure it is not the old style.

Reactions: kappel15
Have you seen it do it? This happens when you turn the tstat up?

New style, old style, the capacitor can go. Just in the older stoves, it was in the junction box. Couple years newer, they started putting them in the wire harness. kap

Reactions: mralias
All else fails..I have a big hammer you can use. Works on my stove.

Reactions: Ssyko
Try opening your feed a little.

replaced contorl box 2 yrs ago. Will try turning up heat, can't remember if that made a difference, or if I have tried that since the last thermo change out. Will post when I have tried it. I also have a big hammer I have been tempted to unlimber on it !!!

Think I may have solved problem, replaced thermo control wire which was a solid bell wire (about 22gauge) with 18g braided wire. Seems to be working so far. Heat setting doesn't seem to have any effect.

Hope this takes care of you. kap