11 year old BK Princess in new to me house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

M1SF1T

Jun 11, 2024
Van Isle
New to me house has an 11 year old BK Princess. I thought there should be lots of life left in this stove, but it needs to be cleaned up.

We're putting in a new floor and hearth area so pulled it out. It needs a fan replacement and I planned to give it some fresh stove paint.

It was overflowing with ash and unburnt debris when I got into the house. After cleaning it out I notice parts corroded near the top of the interior. I understand that this is CAT stove, does that need to be replaced maybe?

There was also a lot build up in the stove pipe. It was absolutely full, like choked 90% with light fluffy creosote that I easily vacuumed out. I also see quite a bit of creosote overflowing from the top of the chimney. Is that a reflection on the previous owners burning / maintenance practice or a possible issue with this particular stove? I saw that he had a pipe cleaning brush when we looked at the house and he left it behind for me, so I had assumed he was taking care of it.

I visited the local shop that sold and installed with the previous owner but they weren't helpful unless I want to buy a new stove.

As I look more at this stove I wonder if I should not bother with the clean up and consider replacing it outright? Either way I plan to have a professional do the reinstall and inspect but, I don't want to waste my time cleaning and painting this thing if I should have just started new.

I appreciate opinions!

My stove.

Interior view.

Inside top corroded part.

Lucky guy, getting a BK out of the blue.

You'll need a new catalytic combustor. Most likely that's the cause.of.the creosote .

Get your wood stacked to it is drying. One can't really buy wood that's dry enough. The stove is a great stove, but it needs dry wood.

I do think the inside needs repairing. I'm not sure that's worth it - depends on how.much that costs.

@BKVP

Reactions: M1SF1T
Thanks for your reply. I started going over it more closely today and I see 3 cracks on the corners of the door opening too... I don't think they're right through but I'm not going to F-around either. We plan on using this for our main home heat source so I'm just going to buy a new stove.

That said, I'm not going to junk this either. I have another older stove in my shop and I think a bit of a weld repair, grind, repaint, new cat and burn it ..

Reactions: Highbeam
It appears this stove was abused. With cracks and how far that bar below the cat was gone, that's not how these are built.

Bummer

Lots of neglect and skipped maintenance in that stove. it will need a complete set of firebricks too. When the bricks are pulled look for creosote corrosion behind them and test for weak spots.

Check that chimney over carefully. I bet it could tell some stories sitting above a stove that was treated like that.

Thanks for your comments.

It's disappointing this stove won't work out but honestly it is only a bonus if it did... I expected we would replace it when we bought the house and my wife doesn't like the style of it anyway... Oh well at least I can get something new that will work great. I'm going to go shopping next week.

Question now is cat vs. non-cat - this stove obviously put a ton of gunk into this chimney... Maybe a non-cat would burn better with my draft?

Or maybe it was the operator. I'm not sure if this guy was burning wet wood or what... he was a logger, maybe brought the heating come with him from work every week?

That choice depends more on how you intend to use the stove and what other heating you will have and use.

Whatever happy to that BK is user error. This is not at all normal BK stove behavior.

The most likely reason for all the creosote buildup was burning wet wood. Get your wood stacked yesterday or your going to have the same issue. And don't believe the dealer that tells you his wood is fully seasoned because it rarely is.

I think running in black box mode with a dead cat and dry wood can do the same?

If you plan on using this thing after fixing it, get a new cat and ensure (do not trust and do verify) dry wood.

Thanks for your comments.

It's disappointing this stove won't work out but honestly it is only a bonus if it did... I expected we would replace it when we bought the house and my wife doesn't like the style of it anyway... Oh well at least I can get something new that will work great. I'm going to go shopping next week.

Question now is cat vs. non-cat - this stove obviously put a ton of gunk into this chimney... Maybe a non-cat would burn better with my draft?

Or maybe it was the operator. I'm not sure if this guy was burning wet wood or what... he was a logger, maybe brought the heating come with him from work every week?
Do some searches on this question. You'll find dozens of threads on this topic and many more on specific stove options. There is no one, best stove. There are good stoves in both cat and non-cat variety and there are several things to consider like draft strength, aesthetics, fire view, radiant vs convective, clearance requirements, stove location, size of area to be heated, home insulation, maintainance requirements, etc. The best stove is one that fits the space, one's lifestyle, and one's budget.

The most likely reason for all the creosote buildup was burning wet wood. Get your wood stacked yesterday or your going to have the same issue. And don't believe the dealer that tells you his wood is fully seasoned because it rarely is.
Spot on! Burning wet wood, can't get enough heat, so crack the door open. That will turn the stove into a blast furnace. The dome guard would need replacing, probably bypass gasket retainers, new combustor, new bricks, and cross support rod is also sagging.

I hate to say it, but that unit would need some grinding and light welding.

BKVP

Thanks for the comments.

I'm think I'm going with a new PE Summit LE and am getting quotes now. I also considered the the Drolet stoves, but PE is right down the highway from me on the Island so I like to support that.

I'm going to rehab this Princess though. I have a welder and I'll hit those cracks and grind it smooth before a fresh paint. Replace some bricks, put in a new catalyst, she'll be off to the races.

I'll run it in my shop to replace the old stove currently in there. Low slow burn in there will be good to keep the edge off when I'm out there and stop things from freezing on the coldest days.

Reactions: Itslay90
Thanks for the comments.

I'm think I'm going with a new PE Summit LE and am getting quotes now. I also considered the the Drolet stoves, but PE is right down the highway from me on the Island so I like to support that.

I'm going to rehab this Princess though. I have a welder and I'll hit those cracks and grind it smooth before a fresh paint. Replace some bricks, put in a new catalyst, she'll be off to the races.

I'll run it in my shop to replace the old stove currently in there. Low slow burn in there will be good to keep the edge off when I'm out there and stop things from freezing on the coldest days.
Sounds good. Drill a 1/8" hole at the end of each crack and then back to the opposite hole.

The dome guard is a piece of "C" channel and needs replacing. If the bypass gasket retainer a shot (likely) and you are in Canada, you can have a Blaze King dealer order them for you.

BKVP

Reactions: Itslay90 and M1SF1T
Well, I have this BK Princess, but I'm going to get something new. Not sure yet...
As you intend to use the new stove for main house heat, and not just for some flames to look at in the evening, I'd say get a cat stove, ideally one with a thermostat (like your BK once was).
The wide range these can be run in is crucial to maintaining a steady temperature throughout the burn, and to be able to adjust stove output to outside conditions. We don't live in a typical wood-fired-stove-area, but it's still doing a great job keeping the house warm in the winter.

It’s sad to see an abused princess. At 11 years old it’s probably not worth paying to have fixed but if you’re a welder then anything is possible.

Just using the crap out of a princess for 11 years won’t do that damage. I know, mine is 12. This was abuse.

Well chit happens. I'm sure this princess will be an easy enough fix up and make a great stove for my shop.

I'm excited to get a Summit for the house though... talked with a dealer today and am going to visit another tomorrow. I want to get something sooner than later.

Reactions: Itslay90