Stove pipe cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I have an Englander 30 NC that was installed a few weeks ago and I have been burning 24/7 since then. My set up is in the basement and 4 feet of stove pipe through thimble out to a 28 foot class A chimney. I swept my chimney today for the first time and got about a pint glass full of creosote chips--of the glazed type. In any case, not a total surprise as the wood I have been burning leaves a bit to be desired. Anyway, I plan on sweeping the chimney every two weeks or so as I burn 24/7. My question is then: How often should I clean the stove pipe and thimble. If this were as easy to do as the chimney, I would not even be asking as I would just do it. However, with the 90 degree bends and such, my regular brush and rod set won't work. Do stove pipes generally accrue less creasote that the chimneY?

Thanks
Frank

If you are building up creosote then I'd say take the pipes apart monthly. W/ the pipes separated, you will be able to run your brush through them.

Why is it a pain? I have a similar setup and I just need to remove a few screws. Throw a pic up and maybe someone will have a suggestion for you.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.