Which wood stove for old fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

karv

Aug 19, 2012
MN
We are looking at either a wood stove or wood insert for our 2 sided fireplace. I was leaning toward an insert, but am now considering a stove. The opening is 40"w x 25 deep by 27.25" high.
We've looked at the Lopi Republic 1250, Answer (not sure it would fit), Morso 2110, 7110, Hearthstone Homestead and Jotul F500.
At first we were dead set on a wood insert, but now like the look of a stove more.

Are there any other stoves we should consider?
Thanks!

Here are a few pictures.
[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace? [Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?

Someone just had a thread going about completing their install with a fireplace that looks just like yours. It's around here somewhere. I think they went with one of the larger Buck stoves.

With the side being open as it is would it really matter much what they go with? In my opinion and I could be wrong wouldnt an insert radiate heat like a free stander because of the open side?

Second time that old thread came up in ten days!

Indiana / Minnesota. Likely not the same builder, but clearly the same unconventional design. Same architect? Sears-Roebuck or other kit house?

With the side being open as it is would it really matter much what they go with? In my opinion and I could be wrong wouldnt an insert radiate heat like a free stander because of the open side?

I'd be going with a free standing stove. No unfinished insert side to cover up.

I like the free standing stove idea - lots of possibilities you have there.

With the F500 the side loading door is on the wrong side for that fireplace.

Indiana / Minnesota. Likely not the same builder, but clearly the same unconventional design. Same architect? Sears-Roebuck or other kit house?

Actually those aren't entirely uncommon. I'm betting Mid Century Ranch or cape. We looked at two houses with similar fireplaces. I think both were ranches but one may have been a cape.

I can't suggest a stove but I do agree on the stove instead of an insert. And the 1250 and Answer are essentially the same stove. Just like the 1750 and Endeavor. The 1250/1750 are just more "utilitarian" (less expensive).

Actually those aren't entirely uncommon. I'm betting Mid Century Ranch or cape. We looked at two houses with similar fireplaces.

Weird... never saw one like that before coming here. The 1720's addition to my aunt's house had two adjacent faces, similar to these, but the faces were in two separate rooms. The fireplace was built into the middle of an exterior wall, at a 45-degree angle to that wall. The two faces were in two adjacent rooms, each at 45-degrees to the rest of the room. Was very neat, although the wall separating the two rooms had been removed before my time, and a wood stove plugged into a thimble above one of the fireplaces.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, this is a 1965 ranch. It had 3 fireplaces. I just noticed the Jotul f500 had the door on the wrong side for us. That is too bad.
I hadn't heard of Buck stoves before. It doesn't look like anyone sells them in MN, or at least not near Minneapolis.
The wife thinks the 24" wide Lopi stoves won't look good in there. She wants something wider.
Here's a before and after of our basement fireplace, and 1 of our other main level fireplace. That one we like just the way it is.

[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?

Wow you have some great fireplaces. Another vote for free standing stove.

Very cool fireplaces! Love the retro 1960's styling.

Is that a TruCrete floor around your new basement fireplace? Looks exactly like what we did in our basement, same color and all. Yours looks smoother / glossier, though... perhaps an epoxy overcoat?

Actually it is steel. A fabricator came out, took measurements and then came back and welded in the 3 pieces.

Actually it is steel. A fabricator came out, took measurements and then came back and welded in the 3 pieces.

No, no, no... the marbly rust orange stuff around the steel! ;lol

Opps, read your post wrong. We had the basement floor concrete ground down, skim coated and acid stained. Then they put on some sort of epoxy sealer.

Joful...you probably haven't seen them before because you seem to look at much older homes :D

Karv, what about the vermont castings stoves? What style are you looking for? Plain, fancy, stone, cast, steel? I love the rounded fireplace!

Bucks are nice because they can be an insert OR freestanding with legs and do not have the insert shroud look to them. Having the blower is a nice option to help push the heat out of the fireplace. I would look for a freestanding that can have the legs removed and has a blower option.

Found a picture of a Avalon Rainier in an install like yours, notice the insert shroud on the sides and top:
[Hearth.com] Which wood stove for old fireplace?

Funny, I always thought the Rainier was Avalon's version of the Endeavor, but looking at the specs, I can see it isn't. The Spokane 1750 is their version of the Republic 1750 though...hm.

I have a Woodstock Keystone I'm looking to sell.

I think the Woodstock Keystone is a bit too tall. The wife doesn't like the look of a stove with out legs. The Bucks are interesting but I can't find a local dealer. We looked at the vermont castings, but it appears most are top loaders? She likes the contemporary look. Also wider to fit into the opening better and the biggest glass available. lol

Reactions: etiger2007
I think the Woodstock Keystone is a bit too tall. The wife doesn't like the look of a stove with out legs. The Bucks are interesting but I can't find a local dealer. We looked at the vermont castings, but it appears most are top loaders? She likes the contemporary look. Also wider to fit into the opening better and the biggest glass available. lol

Well, you will be very limited by the 27.25" height. You could do an Oslo with the short leg kit, but you would need to extend the hearth out in order to take advantage of the side loading. The Encore would also work, but, again, you will need to extend the hearth to use the top loading function of the stove.

I was thinking more of having the stove outside the fireplace and just vent it out the back and up the chimney. Maybe even look into finding the same brick and block up the fireplace, extend the hearth and have the stove right out in front where it will do the most good?

Status
Not open for further replies.