WHAT IS MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO HEAT HYDRONIC RADIANT SYSTEM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SRSTUDIO

May 13, 2024
Maine
Hi,

I am building my 1800 sqft studio on 4" slab and plan to use hydronic radiant heat system installed in slab.
What is the best way to heat the water.
I'd prefer not to use electric and found some fantastic hi efficiency wood boilers (92% MBTEK PEllet DUO is my favorite so far) however after doing many calculations, factoring in time, maintenace etc I am wondering at the true cost. Does anyone have any experience with this and going down this road? wood or electric best for this system. I know there are very efficient and require a low running temp which is why electric might not be insane, most efficient. You are pegged to the price, but then again its all connected, cord wood going way up.
Any experience and feedback greatly appreciated

One reason for going with wood is the savings of supplying your own

right, I have a woodshop, but we probably only produce 80 gallons of premium kiln dried wood waste a month. Which would mean I would need to purchase cord wood, at 350 a cord where i live in Maine I am not sure if this will come out cheaper than, say electric?

Well… I see radiant floor as a big splurge. So go big.
Heatpump.

right, I have a woodshop, but we probably only produce 80 gallons of premium kiln dried wood waste a month. Which would mean I would need to purchase cord wood, at 350 a cord where i live in Maine I am not sure if this will come out cheaper than, say electric?
I would say that if you don't have the ability to get your own wood then you definitely need to crunch the numbers.
If you are buying wood it can get expensive, but having a wood burner means you can always find something to use for heat.
You may not always be able to get pellets, oil, or propane. But there will always be wood around to burn

Make sure you insulate under that slab!

Reactions: stoveliker