Thank YOU and a question II..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafo

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
Northern NY
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum before, it was suggested I move it here.. :)

I would like to start off by saying thank you for this site. We had a fire in our home that started from a faulty fireplace. Fortunately I was home at the time and nobody was hurt and there was no major damage, but the fireplace itself was basically destroyed. After wrangling with the insurance company that I didn’t want the fireplace just restored to the way it was (faulty) we agreed on putting in a pellet stove insert. I have been researching online the final two inserts I have to choose from (mostly due to availability and fireplace size) and let me tell you, getting any unbiased information on pellet inserts on the net is not as easy as one would think. I finally came across hearth.com and saw quickly that this was the place to get the info I needed. I began searching the site via google and have found some great information! Thank you!

My question is about my final decision. Basically the two models are the Avalon Astoria Bay Large Insert, and the Austroflamm Integra II by Rika, here are some of the conclusions I am coming to, but please let me know if I am off base here, or tell me your thoughts:

Avalon Astoria Bay Insert:

- American made
- Quality construction (according to reports here)
- More affordable (according to my contractor)
- Less prone to break downs

Integra II Insert:

- Foreign made
- More expensive
- Harder to get parts
- Heats larger area (2,500 sqf as opposed to 2,250)
- Quieter than the Avalon

I am leaning towards the Avalon Astoria Bay insert but any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!

Welcome to our little group.

Sounds like you have done the homework already. May I add. Dealer must be considered as well. You want a good one that will stand behind your product purchase. Before you buy from them make sure they are top notch. It will round out the whole package.

Don't forget to post a picture of the install when you have it finished and running. We always like to see the photo's of our fellow group members stoves.

Stay warm
jay

Jafo,

Another welcome to the site and congratulations for doing your due dilligence.

As Jtakeman mentioned, the dealer can be almost as important as the choice of stove.

That said, you are correct in that the majority of posts I have read and folks I have spoken with agree that the Avalon ( and Lopi ) product line is solid, well made, relatively easy to maintain, parts if needed are available, and has an excellent warranty.

Not as many reports on the Integra , and I have no personal experiecce with that brand. . . . . .

The other caution, as I am sure you have read, the sq. footage ratings can be deceptive ( or disappointing in some cases) as a pellet stove is a space heater. Every house is somewhat unique in its characteristics for air circulation and the amount of assistance needed in boosting the air circulation.

Good luck in your decision and please be sure to keep us updated.

Ranger

I agree completly- some manufacturers are known for embellishing sq ft heating values- be cautious of this. Personally, I would stay with the American made product. Support the home team!

Thanks! As for the dealer, I am going to talk more with my contractor about this. My contractor has a great reputation in our small town (which says something by itself). He says this dealer is who handles most of his pellet stove work, but I do plan on talking with him in depth about it after the holiday.

Thanks for your feedback, and I will be sure to post pics when all is finished! :)

Jafo,
I am a former owner of an Astoria FS, and I will say that it is a very nice unit. Relatively quiet, easy to clean, reliable, HUGE hopper, and made in USA. It burned softwood and hardwood pellets equally well.

I also think that the Austroflamm Integra is a great unit too, but I think for the money, availability of parts, and supporting the US economy, I would get another Astoria if I had your choices.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

I would strongly suggest you go to the dealership where they sell the stove and not tell them about your contractor and find out the best price you can get for the stove you want, talk to them about all your questions etc. See if YOU like them. It will be you who has to deal with them if there are problems. It is nice the contractor has a good relationship with them but you need to feel good about them.
I do not have a pellet stove but American made can be very nice and the company you chose seems to have an excellent reputation.

Can't answer for your situation, but the Rika Integra so far has been a no brainer for me. Can't compare to the other stove you
are looking at because I have no experience with one. All I can comment on is mine. and the Glowboy it replaced.
No comparison in quality, NOISE or lack thereof, and heat output. I have found several sources for part on line,
the stove didn't come with a warrentee, and so far it looks like it may be a moot point. As with anything I'm sure
some things will need replacing, but by then a warrentee would be out anyway. My stove was a plug
and play affair for me. Not saying that would always be the case. There are good stoves out there, its a matter of what your
requirements are. Do you need dealer support? If so definitly don't buy like I did, buy from a dealer. Then support is
your main concern. Mine was 2250 shipped.

I have been researching the dealer quite a bit and have heard nothing but good things, but really am waiting on my contractors perspective too. Our contractor is a really good decent honest man who has been doing this type of work for over 30 years in our small town. If he was prone to trusting lousy dealers, it would get around here quick so that has a way of forcing people here to work with quality. His opinion is really the last bit of information I need as far as the dealer goes. I will be talking with him today.

Another reason why I am leaning away from the Integra is not really any fault of the manufacturer. Their inserts are a bit more refined looking. We live in a rustic home and I don't think the styles would match.

Thanks everyone for the info so far, it has been very helpful! I am getting rather excited about putting this insert in.

Just an update..

We are going with the Avalon. I spoke at length with my contractor about the dealer. Besides the fact that there are only a small handful of them within a couple hours of here, he also told me that he has been using them for years, and that in fact, his gas insert in his own home was from them. That is good enough for me. My contractor is one of those perfectionists almost to a fault, and has done a lot of work for us in the past. I will trust his judgment on this one.

We are just finalizing the color of the hearth stone and we should begin.. I have before pics already, hope to have some after pics soon! :)

GREAT, best of luck. So are you getting a Wood or Gas unit?

Keep us informed about the progress, and don't forget PICS when the install is done. BTW, did you go with the Astoria insert? If so, let me know if you have any operational questions.

macman said:
Keep us informed about the progress, and don't forget PICS when the install is done. BTW, did you go with the Astoria insert? If so, let me know if you have any operational questions.

Yes, I went with the Astoria Bay Large Insert. I am sure I will have a ton of questions once we get it all in. I will even try to take pics during the install if I can do so and stay out of the installers way! :p

Here are some pics of the fireplace as promised :) . Keep in mind the fireman did quite a job on it and the contractor has yet to tear out the bottom and pour a new base or anything else. The hearth was ripped out and there was some other cosmetic damage. There are also some pics of the insert. It is basically sitting on my dining room floor at the moment.

The contractor is coming back monday to tear out the bottom of the fireplace, and pour the new base. Wednesday, we are supposed to install the insert.

I have been reading the manual that came with it and I see there is an port for pulling the combustion air through a pipe. It appears to be optional and there was no tubing included in the kit. Should I press him to get this?

Attachments

• Thank YOU and a question II..
    fp.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 729
    stovefront1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 735
    stoveback.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 853
Jafo said:
I have been reading the manual that came with it and I see there is an port for pulling the combustion air through a pipe. It appears to be optional and there was no tubing included in the kit. Should I press him to get this?

What you are looking for is an OAK(outside air kit). You could ask the dealer but there usually optional. We tend to want them. especially in tight houses

Can't wait to see the finish photo's and burn too! Nice looking stove.

I'd hook-up the OAK through the ash cleanout in the floor of the fireplace, just like the install instructions show.

Nice stove....I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you want to dress it up w/o spending a ton of $$ for the gold kit, do the "poor man's" gold kit like I did on my Astoria FS. The only thing you couldn't do is the trivet on the top, since the insert doesn't have one.

Attachments

Astoria4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 710
Thanks! Inferno, where abouts are you in the Hudson Valley? I used to live in Modena (right between New Paltz and Newburgh) before I moved upstate (Boonville)..

What type of paint did you use for that? I kinda like just the black trim, but if I can make it any color it might be worth considering.

I searched online, with no avail, but any idea on the price of the OAK? Unfortunately this fireplace does not have an ash cleanout so it would have to be installed I guess by the cap. The problem is, the contractor already installed the cap :(. I will ask him anyway and see if there isn't some way to do it. The house is definitely not tight, but I don't want the stove to cause a draft downstairs..

Jafo said:
Thanks! Inferno, where abouts are you in the Hudson Valley? I used to live in Modena (right between New Paltz and Newburgh) before I moved upstate (Boonville)..
What type of paint did you use for that? I kinda like just the black trim, but if I can make it any color it might be worth considering.

jafo, the name's macman.....see each forum members name is in upper left corner in the med. blue bar.

I'm in New Windsor.

I used High heat gold paint for it. Looks better than the pics show.

Yep, the lack of an ash pan on inserts, and the smaller hopper are drawbacks, but compared with the heat that gets sucked UP the chimney with a wood fire in it, you'll like the insert.

Let me know if you have any "operational" questions. Good luck!

Oh, BTW, don't forget to post some burning pics when it's all done.

macman said:
Jafo said:

jafo, the name's macman.....see each forum members name is in upper left corner in the med. blue bar.

I'm in New Windsor.

Yep, the lack of an ash pan on inserts, and the smaller hopper are drawbacks, but compared with the heat that gets sucked UP the chimney with a wood fire in it, you'll like the insert.

Jafo,

Macman is his screen name BUT his wife calls him "Inferno"...

macman said:

I'm in New Windsor.

Sorry, read that wrong macman :). I guess I am too used to Vbulletin lol. That is actually my line of work, I modify VB for my clients and also do systems administration.

I know New Windsor well. :)

There is an ash pan albeit small on the insert. I was referring to the chimney ash cleanout and running the OAK through that.. Unfortunately there is not one.

I hopefully will have more pics this week. :)

krooser said:
Jafo, Macman is his screen name BUT his wife calls him "Inferno"...

Krooser, that would be true IF I still had a wif....got rid of her 12 yrs ago.... :)

Jafo said:
I was referring to the chimney ash cleanout and running the OAK through that.. Unfortunately there is not one.......

Isn't that hole in the floor of the fireplace where an ash cleanout door used to be?

macman said:
Jafo said:
I was referring to the chimney ash cleanout and running the OAK through that.. Unfortunately there is not one.......

Isn't that hole in the floor of the fireplace where an ash cleanout door used to be?

No, that is where the firemen dug through and found the fire. Below the fireplace were floor joists and they were burning.. The fireplace was poorly constructed by a previous owner. If it wasn't the middle of winter and if the second flu didn't have an asbestos lining, I would have tore the thing down. The entire fireplace & chimney are being supported by the second floor (joists) rather than going all the way to the basement. We decided to reinforce the supports underneath, tear out the bottom of the firebox and pour in a new base. I still refuse to burn a fire in there so we decided to go with an insert.

Jafo said:
......We decided to reinforce the supports underneath, tear out the bottom of the firebox and pour in a new base......

Since the floor is now reinforced, could you leave a small 2 1/2 -3" hole there and run the OAK tubing down through it and out the side of the house??

Status
Not open for further replies.