technical info for Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

worthy

Oct 7, 2006
Hello hello~I recently purchased a Jotul 118 in very fine condition. I am looking for any technical info that might be available, including UL listing numbers and installation guidelines. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Jotul's website has no technical information on the older models. Forget going to Underwriter Laboratories website for help, I could find no sign of Jotul there. Thanks.

your stove will have a tag on the back that gives you the listing, and who it was tested by. If there isnt a tag, then it isnt listed. I dont have any old 118 manuals, you might go to the jotul website and email the tech department.

BB, thats the new black bear manual, it looks identical to the 118 but has a different listing and different clearances.

MountainStoveGuy said:
your stove will have a tag on the back that gives you the listing, and who it was tested by. If there isnt a tag, then it isnt listed. I dont have any old 118 manuals, you might go to the jotul website and email the tech department.

The only email address I managed to find on their website was [email protected]. I've tried that twice...my mail doesn't go through, comes back to me. I mailed letters today to Jotul in Gorham, ME and Portland, ME. No tag on my stove. I may have to buy a newer model. Thanks for your help.~B

Older stoves often had tags that were simply glued on....yes, it it true! I've seen such tags on Old Mills, Uplands and many other stoves...they last a couple of years if you are lucky!

The 118 was UL approved pretty early in the game - probably 1979. You can probably dig up a manual somewhere.....a dealer who sold these stoves for many years such as Lehmans Hardware in Kidron Ohio might be one possible lead.

Woodsmans Associates has parts and parts lists for this stove - maybe they have a manual

This type of stove is usually installed as "generic", meaning using the NFPA generic clearances - 36" from sides, rear to wall, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.