Newbie problem: Chain saw drifts right

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He only used a crappy hand file, he did say he doesn't like hand filing so he did not give hand filing a fair chance. Clearly this is about alternatives to hand filing.

A good hand file can easily match and beat anyone of the tools he tested.

Reactions: salecker
Here is a newer video comparing sharpeners - the Stihl one did well and was cheaper then some of it's competition.

Annoying voice, but I really like the measurement approach. Looks like I didn't do so bad buying the Ezdoo, but what surprises me is that the Stihl manual sharpener only takes a few minutes longer and yields a faster cutting chain.

Annoying voice, but I really like the measurement approach. Looks like I didn't do so bad buying the Ezdoo, but what surprises me is that the Stihl manual sharpener only takes a few minutes longer and yields a faster cutting chain.
He usually has good video comparisons.
But in this case he has little to no clue or skill sharpening chainsaw chains and says so early in the testing.

Best to look at pro loggers or highly skilled chainsaw guys to get your sharpening advise from.

i can sharpen a chain. But never fixed one that didn't cut straight.

One take away from His vid/ his approach manual file. Files only cut going away from you he was filing with pressure in both directions - dulling file on the return stroke. Never drag a file or a hacksaw blade backwards through a cut.

Dull chain for sure.. Get the harbor freight electric chain grinder.. its pretty good for the money.. fast.. I normally do 6 to 8 loops when sharpening.. I do hand file.. but when the chain is Fu#cked to the point of cutting on an angle.. the grinder is the best way to go..

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a Harbor Freight in driving distance, but I have to admit it didn't occur to me to look there. Instead I ordered the Ezdoo electric grinder online, and it works great!