Is any insert small enough for our fireplace? Thank you!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fozziebear

Oct 6, 2023
Michigan
I'm new here, and new to wood-burning stoves, but I've been learning a lot by poking around here. Thanks! I know there are a bunch of threads on this topic, but I wanted to ask anyway, because I'd be grateful for the help (and maybe every small fireplace is small in its own way?).

We bought a new house last year -- a 1920s bungalow in southeast Michigan -- and we'd like to install a wood-burning insert to supplement our primary heat source (heat pump) and to have as a primary heat source when the power goes out during winter storms. The problem: the existing firebox2 is super small! We've had two people come out to look at it, and both said it's too small for any wood-burning insert. As a result, we're thinking about extending the hearth a bit and placing a small wood-burning stove right in front of the fireplace. (We've talked about the Morso 1410 B, for instance.) I don't mind that solution, if that's all that's really possible, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Does that seem right -- that no wood-burning insert will fit? If so, how big a project is it to reshape the firebox? Is it even worth it (e.g., is a stand-alone stove better for our purposes)? I'm attaching a bunch of pictures. Happy to follow up with additional info. Thank you again!

IMG_5377.jpeg IMG_5369.jpeg IMG_5366.jpeg IMG_5368.jpeg IMG_5371.jpeg IMG_5372.jpeg IMG_5375.jpeg IMG_5374.jpeg IMG_5370.jpeg IMG_5376.jpeg

I'm not sure if anything would fit. We had the same issue with our fireplace. We ended up putting a wood stove on the hearth and love it. Also if the power does go out a woodstove will out preform an insert. Inserts rely on blowers to get all of the heat out in to the room. Without electricity they will heat a room, but not nearly as efficiently.

I'm not sure if anything would fit. We had the same issue with our fireplace. We ended up putting a wood stove on the hearth and love it. Also if the power does go out a woodstove will out preform an insert. Inserts rely on blowers to get all of the heat out in to the room. Without electricity they will heat a room, but not nearly as efficiently.
Thanks -- that's helpful too!

Look at the freestanding Jotul F35. It can rear vent and has a short leg kit for fireplaces.

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P
Look at the freestanding Jotul F35. It can rear vent and has a short leg kit for fireplaces.
Thanks for this recommendation too. What's the significance of the short leg kit in this context? Is the idea that this stove could be placed partly inside/partly outside the fireplace, requiring us to expand the hearth less and taking up less usable space in general? Or just that it would look better-proportioned?

Thanks for this recommendation too. What's the significance of the short leg kit in this context? Is the idea that this stove could be placed partly inside/partly outside the fireplace, requiring us to expand the hearth less and taking up less usable space in general? Or just that it would look better-proportioned?
It get the stove low enough for the the rear vent to fit under the opening. It can go as far back as you want it. I have one set all the way back but it really needs a blower.

Reactions: fozziebear
The short leg kit will allow the stove to top vent directly to the liner or rear vent if it's desired to have it sit more into the room. A blower kit would be recommended along with having an insulated block-off plate sealing off the damper area.

I think the F35 with short legs would fit right nice. You will need to figure out where the outlet is when the stove is back where you want/can fit it. It might be such that you don’t need to rear rear vent it. Would save the cost of a T.

Pay attention to how the height for a rear vent is higher than the top. Read the cleaning process too

I have the equivalent size jotul that was previously sold. Its not a long burning stove think 6 hours. But I really end it.

The short leg kit will allow the stove to top vent directly to the liner or rear vent if it's desired to have it sit more into the room. A blower kit would be recommended along with having an insulated block-off plate sealing off the damper area.
Ah, thank you!

I think the F35 with short legs would fit right nice. You will need to figure out where the outlet is when the stove is back where you want/can fit it. It might be such that you don’t need to rear rear vent it. Would save the cost of a T.

Pay attention to how the height for a rear vent is higher than the top. Read the cleaning process too

I have the equivalent size jotul that was previously sold. Its not a long burning stove think 6 hours. But I really end it.
You and others have definitely convinced me to ask our person about the F35 -- I'm pretty sure they sell and install Jotul stoves -- and see whether/how it might fit in there. I appreciate the help!

Can I ask, sorry -- what's the "cost of a T," in this context??

You and others have definitely convinced me to ask our person about the F35 -- I'm pretty sure they sell and install Jotul stoves -- and see whether/how it might fit in there. I appreciate the help!

Can I ask, sorry -- what's the "cost of a T," in this context??
A small portion of the whole liner you need. When we buy a liner kit the tee kits are only about 50 to 75 more than an insert kit

Yes free standing woodstove for sure.