Good thermometer placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flame Monger

Oct 28, 2020
Fostoria Ohio
Rather new to wood burners but enjoying it this far. Wondering where to place the thermometer. I have a magnetic one made for stoves that says Meecos Red Devil on it. The stove is a brand new buck model 74. It's got a stainless steel stack so the magnet is useless in this case. The thermometer is currently front and center at the top of the door. I also have an oven thermometer resting on the stovetop. The stove is tucked into a masonry fireplace. I removed some of the black sheet metal backing to gain access to more of the stove top. What differences does this make? Is there a rule of thumb guideline I can go by, or do I have to figure out a way to tie it up with thin wire?

Four days and no reply . . . I am guessing the owner's manual doesn't mention it . . . perhaps someone who owns a Buck would help out Flame Monger (I like the name by the way!)

Reactions: Flame Monger
Four days and no reply . . . I am guessing the owner's manual doesn't mention it . . . perhaps someone who owns a Buck would help out Flame Monger (I like the name by the way!)
We've since placed it on the metal body of the stove and it's responding reasonably well. From start it takes forever to raise but once It's up it stays there. I've gotten some really hot numbers off of it here. Close to over firing even . I'll check the owners manual, I gave it a fast once over and put it in the filing cabinet for safe keeping.

Attachments

• PXL_20201118_153159277.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20201118_153159277.MP~2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 166
Is this an insert? Looks like it would be easier to place a 2" dial thermometer there.

I have a new insert myself and I’m curious to hear from an industry person the best place to place a magnetic thermometer and a good brand I can find at Amazon ? Thanks
I have this Thermostat on my wood stove and i have a digital Thermostat Lazer and they are within range of each other as i was weary on a magnet one.

I've had it for 2 years and still working. I have it placed on the face of my wood stove insert. my co-worker who also has one but has the same wood stove as i do but no the insert, he has his on the top so if he walks up to it he can read it.

Reactions: Dave Fawcett
Yes begreen this is an insert. The thermometer is about the same as a dial thermometer. It's nice to know I'm not the only one placing it on the front face Dave. Just seems like the most practical spot. Maybe I will invest in a cheap but fairly accurate laser thermometer as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We've had this thermometer in the upper right of our Buck 74 for many years.
20161230_172041.jpg

Reactions: Flame Monger