Can I burn cedar in my Pacific energy wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkelly

Dec 24, 2023
New Brunswick
We just had six cedar trees come down in a big wind storm and I am looking for information regarding burning cedar wood in a Pacific energy wood stove.
Up until now, we've mostly used hardwoods with the odd mix of softwoods, but as I've been reading, I've seen talk about the oils inside cedar logs which can create creosote. Help! Can we dry them out for a long time? Should we just use them for kindling? Would love any information or experience you've had! Thank you!!

If you can, save it for kindling/small stuff. It’s excellent for that

Reactions: Simonkelly
Absolutely. Good for cold starts. Serves a purpose.

Reactions: Simonkelly
I've burned cedar in our stove. It's not my favorite because it burns fast and hot, but it's fine to burn as long as it's fully seasoned and below 20% internal moisture content. It's fine to use for shoulder season burning and to mix with hardwood. I used it to get locust splits burning, One caution, it sparks and ember pops a lot. Combining it with locust was a fireworks show, especially if the wood was stirred.

Can I burn red cedar in my wood stove that has been split & dry for over 8 years & covered with tarp. Air circulation as well.
Moisture meters are cheap and easy to find. Big box stores and various online sources have them from $20 to $40. Get one and check. If the wood is no more than 20% moisture content, it should be fine.

I've got some cedar that has been stored dry as rounds for 8 or so years. After splitting the MC tests out at around 15%. Burns OK. Not my favorite, but in the PNW our choices are a bit limited.

Reactions: Paulyz
Moisture meters are cheap and easy to find. Big box stores and various online sources have them from $20 to $40. Get one and check. If the wood is no more than 20% moisture content, it should be fine.

I've got some cedar that has been stored dry as rounds for 8 or so years. After splitting the MC tests out at around 15%. Burns OK. Not my favorite, but in the PNW our choices are a bit limited.
Thanks, if low moisture content then not to worry about creosote just like oak etc ?

Cedar provides less heat per volume than hardwoods. That might be good during shoulder season when you don't need as much heat.

What kind of stove do you have? It can be oily. Burning it low-and-slow in a non-cat stove might create more creosote than burning hardwoods. Burning it in a hot fire should be OK. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that a cat would combust the smoke and reduce the creosote issue.

I've been burning some cedar recently, and I agree with begreen that it starts quickly and easily, and it sparks and pops embers more than the hemlock / alder / pine that I usually burn.

As others said: when dry, it's fine.
The only thing to be aware of is that nicely dry softwood will catch much faster than the hardwoods you're used to. So be sure to pay attention after reloading, and to possibly dial down a bit earlier to avoid a run-away.

Cedar provides less heat per volume than hardwoods. That might be good during shoulder season when you don't need as much heat.

What kind of stove do you have? It can be oily. Burning it low-and-slow in a non-cat stove might create more creosote than burning hardwoods. Burning it in a hot fire should be OK. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that a cat would combust the smoke and reduce the creosote issue.

I've been burning some cedar recently, and I agree with begreen that it starts quickly and easily, and it sparks and pops embers more than the hemlock / alder / pine that I usually burn.
I have a Wood Pro wood stove with 4 secondary pipes. Cedar is over 8 years old, checked moisture & under 15. It has been burning good and hot.